Spirit of Pittsford Mills

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by David S. »

"Fly Fest 2013" sure sounds like an enticing event.. To bad I won't be able to attend in person, the best I can manage is to attend in spirit...
/David S.

Image

ted patlen
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by ted patlen »

wonderful!!!

David S.
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by David S. »

ted patlen wrote:wonderful!!!
Thanks Ted :) This is really a special pattern, good choice of a theme fly.
/David S.

User avatar
Eperous
Posts: 5111
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: Catskills

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by Eperous »

Very, very nice... your presence will be felt, thanks for posting...

Ed

catskilljohn
Posts: 4312
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 am
Location: Yardley,PA- Jeffersonville,NY

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by catskilljohn »

Sheesh, you got the hands man, that is fabulous! That should be blown up and posted on the door on the way in. Great job, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Allan
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by Allan »

David - Excellent :)

Just a general question that perhaps will prompt an answer based on fact, or an answer based on a reasonable guess:

Why do you think the body hackle was "clipped"? I'm guessing that the originator, JB doesn't specify who it was beyond that the fly is a Green Mountain State(VT) pattern, didn't have hackle with barbs small enough so he(she) palmered what was available and 'clipped' it to size.

Anyone's thoughts and should we adhere to the original or tye with barbs intact?

Allan

User avatar
Eperous
Posts: 5111
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: Catskills

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by Eperous »

Allan wrote: ... Why do you think the body hackle was "clipped"? I'm guessing that the originator, JB doesn't specify who it was beyond that the fly is a Green Mountain State(VT) pattern, didn't have hackle with barbs small enough so he(she) palmered what was available and 'clipped' it to size. ...

I'd GUESS to represent segmentation on the insect's abdomen... Schwiebert did that quite a bit on many of his nymphs in Matching the Hatch, I assume to represent gills, but also maybe segmentation... most noteably he "trimmed brown saddle hackle trimmed off on the belly and back" on his Epeorus Nymph--- his words, not mine, which happens to be a long-standing favorite pattern of mine...

Ed

User avatar
Joe Fox
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Roscoe, NY
Contact:

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by Joe Fox »

Walt used clipped hackle in quite a few dry fly patterns over the years. Both as a rib, like the Coffin Fly, full hackled for the body in place of dubbing. It creates are extremely well floating fly due to the air bubbles that get caught within the clipped hackle barbs.

David S.
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by David S. »

Eperous wrote:Very, very nice... your presence will be felt, thanks for posting...

Ed
Thank you very much Ed :) (PS, I think your wife should raise the prices on her work)
catskilljohn wrote:Sheesh, you got the hands man, that is fabulous! That should be blown up and posted on the door on the way in. Great job, CJ
Thank you CJ, your flies are a great inspiration to me :)
Allan wrote:David - Excellent :)

Just a general question that perhaps will prompt an answer based on fact, or an answer based on a reasonable guess:

Why do you think the body hackle was "clipped"? I'm guessing that the originator, JB doesn't specify who it was beyond that the fly is a Green Mountain State(VT) pattern, didn't have hackle with barbs small enough so he(she) palmered what was available and 'clipped' it to size.

Anyone's thoughts and should we adhere to the original or tye with barbs intact?

Allan
Thank you Allan, glad you liked the fly :)
Regarding your question about the reason behind the clipped hackle, I believe this has already been answered by people more knowledgeable than me.
Whether we should tie the fly to the original recipe or with the barbs of the body hackle intact, I guess that's more of a question of personal choice. I personally believe that for display purposes, we shall tie it as the inventor intended, or at least as close as possible. To me, it wouldn't be a "Spirit of Pittsford Mills" without the clipped body hackle. But, what people do for their own personal fly boxes, is in my opinion up to them.

/David S.

Fatman
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by Fatman »

DavidS

I did alot of research on this fly in 2006 based on a post on the Fly Fisherman site. While researching it I actually came up with 3 different patterns for it. I checked a few fly shops in Vermont and found that Green Mountain Troutfitters in
Jeffersonville, Vermont carried the pattern. I sent them an email and they gave me his son Chuck's email. He told me that his Dad and Eric Leiser were very good friends and told me that the pattern in Eric's Fly Tying Material book was the pattern for it.

He gave me his phone number and we talked for about an hour. I asked two questions about the pattern - What color thread should be used as Eric's book didn't list it, he told me gray or pale yellow silk or pale yellow thread to keep with the ginger hackle. The other was the pattern says "Tail: A cream ginger hackle tip tied to proper proportion", he thought it was a mis-print as his Dad always used hackle barbs for the tail.

“Spirit of Pittsfords Mills”
Pattern from Eric Leisers Fly Tying Materials book:

Wings: Grizzly hackle tips tied in V position
Tail: A cream ginger hackle tip tied to proper proportion
Body: down from base of wood duck flank feather
Rib: cream ginger hackle, wound Palmer style and clipped short to blend in with body. Stubby effect.
Hackle: cream ginger

It's a great pattern that I keep in my fly box.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest