The Euro influence, hail Hans van Klinken

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

The Euro influence, hail Hans van Klinken

Post by Eperous »

A wet, heavy cardiac snow fell in the eastern Catskills today, the kind that drops trees, takes out power lines, and give shovelers heart attacks if one is not careful. After I attended to the mess outside, I tied a few creations developed by Hans van Klinken – namely his Klinkhamer Special plus his Once and Away Emerger.

I would classify the Klinkhamer as a generic type dry fly pattern, one that I started fished about 5-6 years ago thinking it was the silver bullet for tough trout. I tie two colors, olive and rusty dun on #18 Partridge GRS15ST hooks.

Olive Klinkhamer Speical, #18 Partridge GRS15ST -

Rusty Dun Klinkhamer Special, #18 Partridge GRS15ST -

As for the Once and Away, I was so happy with results using the Klinkhamer, I decided to give this van Klinken pattern a try also --- and pleased the limited, special times I call upon its services in Catskill NYC tailwaters. I tie these on TMC 2487 or Daiichi 1130, short shank, wide gap hooks in sizes 16 and 18, depending upon what’s available to me. The body is a peccary quill, peacock herl thorax, and wing/wing case of dun cdc.

Once and Away, #18 TMC 2487 -

By the way, I suggest one might want to thumb through Leon Links’ Tying Flies with CDC for some interesting patterns from across the pond, plus a few winners by western fly fisher/tyer Rene Harrop.

Ed