Red Quill

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Matt Grobert

Red Quill

Post by Matt Grobert »

I've been tying a bunch of Catskill patterns lately, so I thought I'd share one. Here's a Red Quill, one of my favorite flies to tie and fish.
Attachments
Red_Quill3.jpg
Red_Quill3.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

David S.

Re: Red Quill

Post by David S. »

Real nice fly Matt, those quill bodies are quite tricky to get right in my experience and yours look very good indeed...
//David S.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Very, very :D nice!!!

Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Very nice fly, fantastic tying. :)

hacklehead

Post by hacklehead »

Very nice.Good to see the barb pinched down also.Thanks for posting.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

matt,

very nice..it is one of those great flies...like and adams (even if i do not have an adams in my "vest" collection .

what did you use for the body varnish? looks like multiple coats of something.

nice.

yo

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

I can't really critique it very accurately from my house, think you ought to send me one, Matt... :D :D :D

Actually, it's a beaut!

-Rick
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

mvalbano

Post by mvalbano »

Hi Matt,

I believe the two catskill flies you have done a video on have been the light hendrickson and march brown and maybe a light Cahill. It would be cool if you can do a video with a quill body like the red quill to see your technique on doing a quill body. Also, do you ever tie your catskill flies with two wood duck feather or just one? Thanks!

Mike

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

Yo Ted,

I use two stripped hackle stems from a natural coachman brown neck and one coat of Hard as Hull head varnish. Yo :)

(For those of you that might not know it, stripping a hackle stem from a dyed neck results in losing most of the color as the dye comes off when you strip off the hackle fibers, so make sure you use a natural color neck)

Mike,

I only use one woodduck flank feather for Catskill patterns. I'll post the March Brown video, which shows that. That is just my preference because I prefer a sparse divided wing. I do know many folks that use two feathers, and that works, too. We should be doing a Red Quill in the next few months.

Happy New Year.

Matt