Sunday afternoon dries --- Comparadun style

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

Sunday afternoon dries --- Comparadun style

Post by Eperous » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Kind of a dreary March Sunday afternoon, so I tyed up a couple dozen dry flies, Comparadun style. From left to right are: Hendrickson Comparadun, #14 Mustad 94840; Iso Spundun, #14 Mustad 94840; BWO Comparadun, #16 Mustad 94840; and Sulfur Comparadun, #16 Mustad 94840.
Sunday afternoon.jpg
Sunday afternoon.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
The Spundun is “my variation” of an Art Scheck series of dries he called “Spunduns”. As for the BWO & Sulfur Comparadun I like that zlon trailing shuck and find these two patterns good choices for the rough and tumble flows of the Esopus Creek.

Ed

tie2fish

Re: Sunday afternoon dries --- Comparadun style

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 am

I've found the comparadun to be a highly effective pattern over the years, and yours are fine examples of the genre, Ed. Below is one of my versions -- a Size #16 sulphur that absolutely killed on the Willowemoc during early June the past couple of years ...
Sulphur Comparadun ~ Side.jpg
Sulphur Comparadun ~ Side.jpg (164.88 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Sulphur Comparadun ~ Rear.jpg
Sulphur Comparadun ~ Rear.jpg (202.68 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Very nice looking Comparadun Tie2fish :D ... Delicate looking unlike my smaller #16's which were tied with the chop of the Esopus in mind... and, it appears that you utilized two different dub colors, perhaps one for the abdomen and the other for a thorax area? Just a guess on my part, unless my eyeglasses have a smug on them... :oops:

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

A bit of orange in the thorax was always part of my recipe back when I fished that hatch.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Eperous wrote:Very nice looking Comparadun Tie2fish :D ... Delicate looking unlike my smaller #16's which were tied with the chop of the Esopus in mind... and, it appears that you utilized two different dub colors, perhaps one for the abdomen and the other for a thorax area? Just a guess on my part, unless my eyeglasses have a smug on them... :oops:

Ed
Thanks, Ed. Your glasses are clear -- there is a bit of orange seal mixed in for the thorax area. Also, the obscured head is Uni 8/0 rusty brown.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

tie2fish wrote:
Eperous wrote:Very nice looking Comparadun Tie2fish :D ... Delicate looking unlike my smaller #16's which were tied with the chop of the Esopus in mind... and, it appears that you utilized two different dub colors, perhaps one for the abdomen and the other for a thorax area? Just a guess on my part, unless my eyeglasses have a smug on them... :oops:

Ed
Thanks, Ed. Your glasses are clear -- there is a bit of orange seal mixed in for the thorax area. Also, the obscured head is Uni 8/0 rusty brown.
Very interesting... ;) I don't ever recall seeing a multi-color Comparadun body before, but why not... it's probably closer to the real deal... nicely done... :D

Ed

zazzer

Post by zazzer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 pm

they look great Ed. I'Ve tied a few comparaduns, years ago i got a tip from a deer hair man about using early harvest whitetale deer instead of coastal deer hair for the wing.
Some people stear away from comparaduns because of a floatablity issue. The northern white tail is a cold weather deer and has more hollow cavities in the hair, that equals better longer flotability. In my experence it's true. Is that what your using?

very nice tie2 fish. is that elk hair ? for yours?
my sample is a large long #10 slate drake.
the wing is a bit sparse compared to most i tie, but it has the early harvest whitetail deer wing.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:01 pm

zazzer wrote: ... Some people stear away from comparaduns because of a floatablity issue. The northern white tail is a cold weather deer and has more hollow cavities in the hair, that equals better longer flotability. In my experence it's true. Is that what your using?
Hi Zazzer... I'm on a "paint break", no tying today knocking off some "honey do projects" so when the season rolls around, I'm ready...

Good looking Comparadun on your part... overall, I have little issue floating my Comaparduns, but I'm not fishing them in rapids either... I have some hairs that I picked up from Craig Mathews' Blue Ribbon Flies when they used to come to Somerset many years ago and when I was in Yellowstone during the summer of 2012... it's a mixture of deer and elk... and he had the only "dun" dyed hair I've come upon... I guess once I purchased some stuff from Blue Ribbon, I didn't look too many other places... :roll:

I really like the Hendrickson Comparadun; it's caught a lot of nice trout for me.... here's a 19 inch brown that like it also; pictured taken before it was quickly released...
19 inch Comparadun brown & Weiler Garrison 212.JPG
19 inch Comparadun brown & Weiler Garrison 212.JPG (268.59 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
PS - Here another photo of mine, and some of yours as well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=579&hilit=+comparadun

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Years back Caucci & Nastasi told me they had a "pusher" in Florida's fish & game department who would send them patches of hide from road-killed Florida Key Deer. Very fine fibered hair but still good for floatation. I suspect I've still got a couple hunks of it rattling around in the kit. Just a random bit of history.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

squish67

Post by squish67 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:04 pm

And they used to recommend deer face mask. Skinned many a deer head in the day, not fun, but it works great. Shorter fibers, less barring on the tips, hollow, but no big flare.