Proportions? AGAIN

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Joe Fox

Re: Proportions? AGAIN

Post by Joe Fox »

Allan wrote:
Sorry Joe,

Maybe I simply give your family and the others from that era more credit then you do. I really don't see a need for tiers with that experience to need a measuring device. If they can't eyeball the hackle by simply bending it, they can partially bend it against the hook. I submit that all someone needs to do is set the criteria. Then, an experienced tier can duplicate that criteria with accuracy and speed for as long as they are tying whether that is a year, 5 years, 20 years or more.

Allan
John, said it perfectly. It is not hard to judge the size of a hackle, but after it is measured I know what size it is. Bending it against a hook to judge the size is much slower then how I can sort hackle with a gauge.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

I agree on the need for consistency, whichever actual measure you decide is right for you.

No real discussion yet of the pre-sized "dry saddles" available today. It's a case where someone beyond your bench has already decided what hackle length is "right" for the particular size of hook.

I've been using them a lot, but they brought me up short on what I consider "right" for hackle length. I find them mostly one size smaller than what the label claims. Seldom do they reach 1.5X gape, and never close to 2x. I'm trying to recondition my "eye" for what's right, but my instinct is to use one size larger. The "small" size is not really an issue other than taste until you factor in wing length. When I size the wings to the hackle, they look absolutely stubby compared to the body and tail. Size those to match the hackle length, and you come out with a fly that looks to be too small for the hook. I guess the best summary is that for me, overall fly proportions look right or best with hackles nudging 2x gape.

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin »

We are forgetting one possible point here.. The tyers from the past was also salesmen? how about maybe they tied flies according to what their customers wanted? If I get an order of a batch of flies I ask what type of water they will fish, fast or slow rapids. I sometime dress my winged Catskills with a longer and heavier hackle to be used more like an attractor than an imitation. Surely they did swell...

Just thinking..

And I don't think "Catskill Style Dry flies" is all about proportions, it´s more about the mountains, the fishing and the characters from the area, and some from the other side of the pond :-)

Over and out
Niklas
Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Niklas Dahlin wrote:We are forgetting one possible point here.. The tyers from the past was also salesmen? how about maybe they tied flies according to what their customers wanted? If I get an order of a batch of flies I ask what type of water they will fish, fast or slow rapids. I sometime dress my winged Catskills with a longer and heavier hackle to be used more like an attractor than an imitation. Surely they did swell...

Just thinking..

And I don't think "Catskill Style Dry flies" is all about proportions, it´s more about the mountains, the fishing and the characters from the area, and some from the other side of the pond :-)

Over and out
Niklas
Nik... I think you made some excellent points... ;) I have one set/box of dry flies that I use for the fast, foamy, pocket waters/runs of the Esopus--- heavily hackled... and totally different dry flies I use for the glassy flats of the Delaware branches and lower Neversink--- thin and wispy... I don't believe this is a "one size fits all" dry-fly answer... :shock: just saying... :|

Ed