Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by Eperous »

zazzer wrote:I’m familiar with that pattern. It works well on the Delaware. I got some samples from some guides and it doesn’t look quite like that. the pattern is the same just well,, Not meaning to sink any ships I’ll shut up.
No need to shut up, but I did receive a couple Emails today from: (1) a friend, and (2) a friend of mine friend... both knew Bill Dorato very well, and both also mentioned Dorato was buddies with Dick Talleur... my friend's friend confirmed the pattern recipe I posted from Talleur's book as the original... I can imagine that many variations exist, isn't that often how new patterns develop??? Apparently back in 1967 (?) Dick Talleur wrote an article in Fly Fisherman magazine on the Dorato Hare's Ear, which I vaguely recall but long since parted with that issue...

As for Dud Soper - someone else asked about, he "ran a rod shop" - maybe even built cane rods - out of his Delaware County home, and was also quite the fly fisher...

I'm going to cut and paste a piece of one Email discussing the origin of this pattern, by "Willie" as his good friends called him...

Willie had just completed his design when we started fishing together... He explained the design to me... He wanted to create a dry fly that imitated a hopping caddis that was prevalent on the Battenkill... Boy, did he nail it! The fly, he told me, created the illusion of movement due to the mix of wood duck wings and brown and grizzly hackle... Willie taught me how to fish this fly by twitching it a lot... that's why he made the body of hare's mask... complete with spike... the spike hairs, he said, enabled the twitching, acting like additional hackle legs... By the way, Dick did an article for Fly Fisherman magazine on the Dorato Hare's Ear after he and I returned from our Montana trip back in the fall of 1967... the article mentioned my success on the Upper Madison using Willie's Hare's Ear... it was a killer there as it was here... Also, Orvis carried the Dorato Hare's Ear in their catalog for a few years ... Willie's dressing was as follows: wing-wood duck.. body-hare's face mask, with guard hairs.. tail-brown and grizzly fibers tied short, i.e. a third of normal length...hackle was brown and grizzly mixed...

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery »

I find this all interesting.
Here is a quote I found online about George and the Vermont Caddis:The first hare's ear caddis was tied by George Schlotter, whose shop, The Angler's Nook, was for many years a fixture on the Battenkill in Shushan, New York. George tells me that the pattern was actually developed by a group of anglers working in concert. The original calls for natural hare's ear mask dubbing and a brown/grizzly hackle........
Here's a pic:Image
George still ties this fly for the main Orvis store in Vermont.
Perhaps there is more to this story....
FWIW Fly Fisherman was first published in 1969.
Jim

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

A topic that is getting better with every post! Man, you guys are something.

This obscure fly research is very interesting, and the old stories to go with it are great! I love it :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

jwsnma wrote:In the Hatch Guide for New England Stream the VT caddis is shown with no tail, hare's ear body and grizzly and Brown hackle mixed. Alternate colors for the body also
Yup, that's how I remember it. Used it a lot in the mid-70s, and I may just try it again this year on the Henry's Fork. I suspect it's a pattern those damned PhD educated rainbows haven't seen.

Thanks,

Er4ic
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Jim Slattery wrote:I find this all interesting. ... George Schlotter, whose shop, The Angler's Nook, was for many years a fixture on the Battenkill in Shushan, New York. George tells me that the pattern was actually developed by a group of anglers working in concert. .... Perhaps there is more to this story.... FWIW Fly Fisherman was first published in 1969.
Jim
Okay... so the date of the article was probably wrong, so I tried doing some research on the Virtual Fly Fishing website - run by Fly Fisherman magazine, but that was just about useless... so left with few options, I decided to contact the self proclaimed "Uncle Dickie", Dick Talleur, the author himself... When Dick lived/worked for AT&T - I believe in Dutchess County, our paths would occasionally cross on the Esopus - at Huddlers Flats... plus I somewhat knew him from TU conservation activities, though I wasn't sure he would remember me and my simple name... :lol:

I'll cut and paste part of his Email below, but first want to say I do recall the Angler's Nook and George up on the Battenkill... stopped in there many times during my formative years - young and new to fly fishing... :o

From Dick Talleur on the Dorato Hare's Ear Fly Fisherman magazine article,

Hi, Ed! Wow, you're talking ancient history. I vaguely remember the article. I was working in NY City at the time at AT&T Headquarters. I believe this was the first magazine article I ever wrote. It had to do with coping with adult caddis as they skittered around on the surface during hatching. I also remember that the editor ... got a couple of sections out of sequence. The DHE is still one of my main go-to flies. A few years ago, on the Farmington in CT, I hooked a huge brown on a size 14 Light Dorato, just at dusk. I played it for quite a while, finally it wrapped me around a rock, and that was the ball game. I'm pretty sure it would have been the biggest trout I ever caught.

So there you have it, no date of the article, but early one... and maybe there are all kinds of caddis patterns out there like this one, but this is the story and history of the Dorato Hare's Ear... 8-)

Ed

BTW - Jim, looking at your posted picture again, there are no tail or wood duck wing, just the body and hackle on the VT Caddis...

dennis

Post by dennis »

Fly Fisherman, Feb-March Vol.4 Issue 4, 1973. :)
Last edited by dennis on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

dennis wrote:Fly Fisherman, Feb-March Vol.4 Issue 4, 1973. :)
Bingo... thanks... maybe I should let Uncle Dickie know when he wrote that article... :D

The important thing is Talleur had a clear recollection about this in his book, Trout Flies for the 21st Century... ;)

Ed

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery »

Geoerge Schlotter was here over the weekend and I spoke to him about the Vemont Caddis and The Dorato. He knew Bill Dorato, Bill took George's son out fishing, and said that the Vermont Caddis (or Hare's Ear Caddis is what he originally named it) came after the the Dorato Hare's Ear. Having seen the fly in question close up there are some differences.
Jim

flyawaynow

Post by flyawaynow »

I first learned of this fly in Richard Talleur's 'Mastering the Art of Fly-tying' . I tie it in sizes #10 and #12 and use it to entice large fish, especially brown trout, in the wilds of Wyoming. I use stiff elk hair for the tail on large flies, and apply the body with a dubbing loop. The fuller the better. This is a great large fish fly.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

flyawaynow wrote:I first learned of this fly in Richard Talleur's 'Mastering the Art of Fly-tying' . I tie it in sizes #10 and #12 and use it to entice large fish, especially brown trout, in the wilds of Wyoming. I use stiff elk hair for the tail on large flies, and apply the body with a dubbing loop. The fuller the better. This is a great large fish fly.
A friend of mine told me about this fly and I tied a few last winter in sizes 16 & 18.... this past season I fished them on the Delaware River tailwater system and was very pleased with the results... :D

Ed