Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
gadabout

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by gadabout »

I first encountered the Dorato Hare's Ear in Dick Talleur's book Trout Fishing: A Guide for Adult Beginners, one of the very first fly fishing books I ever read. Consequently, the pattern has been with me for pretty much my whole trout fishing history. I usually tie it in sizes #16 and #14. I've always found it to be an effective pattern, and never seem to have enough of them on hand. Whenever I find myself in a situation where I can't decide between a caddis or mayfly imitation, the DHE usually solves my dilemma. I was never really sure of how to pronounce "Dorato".

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Saturday at the CFFC&M's Fly Fest I had a very interesting conversation with a good friend, Dave P., who introduced me to this pattern a few years ago. He reconfirmed the fact that he ties his Dorato's with spikey hair bodies, and sometimes mixes in some red squirrel to add to that effect. But, he also said he used two grizzly hackle tips splayed out for the tail. So this AM I took a peak at the other link I provided by Mantis - Bob Mead - in the Dry Fly Pattern Database that features three Doratos tied by the original creator, Bill Dorato himself. It seems the tail is as featured in Talleur's book - a mix of hackle barbs, which by the way, Talleur also knew & fished with Bill Dorato. That said, like most popular fly patterns, there are probably many minor variations of this pattern.

Ed

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

On the Vermont Caddis: I remember George Schlotter's shop on Route 313, but I mostly know of that pattern from John Merwin's book, "The Battenkill." According to Merwin, the hackle is supposed to be one hook-size undersize."It can be coated with floatant and twitched on the surface in conventional fashion," he write. "Most effectively, it should be fished undressed, hanging vertically and partly awash in the surface tension like an emerging natural."
I never have really used it. Maybe this year I'll give it a real try.

squish67

Re: Dorato's Hare Ear/ Hares Ear Caddis/ Vermont Hares Ear

Post by squish67 »

This brings back memories! I was George Schlotter's partner in raising hackle, and worked for him in the shop for 6 years back inthe 70's. The pattern we tied was the Hare's Ear caddis. I remember how the pattern evolved . It is the child of Bill Dorato's Hare's Ear, which he told me was a variation or John Atherton's Hares Ear pattern in the Fly and the Fish. There was a fisherman whose name escapes me, who being a not so good fly tyer, tied the Dorato pattern, but had trouble with the wings and tail so left them out. He also had trouble sizing hackle, so just trimmed it to size. He fished with Big George Bombria, another Battenkill legend, and George watched him catching fish while dragging the fly over the water. It is hard to fish wrong., and will take fish dead drift, dragging or under the water. He took the idea back to the Nook, where he and George Schlooter began tying it for the shop, '73 0r '74 I believe. Big George tied it with over sized hackle trimmed one size under, and GS tied it with one size under hackle (ever the traditionalist). The hackle took up half the hook shank, and the body was tied partially around the bend (Hare's Mask). Usually brown and grizzily, but dun and gizzly and ginger adn grizzly were also used. Simple, quick and we tied thousands of them!Used it in the Adirondacks, PA, out west, and it worked every where. Guided many people to their first trout using the Hare's Ear Caddis, and that is what we called it. So when John Harder was looking for new flies for the Orivis Catalog in the late 70's, John Merwin suggested the HEC, but for marketing reasons it was renamed the Vermont Hare's Ear!Seems like a lot of Johns and Georges looking back on it, but there were others too. Ralph DeMille (Class Will Tell), Al Wiles, and Dud Soper were all great tiers and fishermen, and there were more! It was quite a time on the Battenkill!

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

S67,

Great story, that is some history there man! Thanks for the great read, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

dennis

Post by dennis »

S67,

Welcome to the forum. Here while back I posted where I read in "The Battenkill" by John Merwin where George was a hackle grower.
...and wondered if he was still doing so. I had planed on calling the Beaverkill Angler to see if he would be there this season tying flys. To tell you the truth I forgot all about it until reading your comment.

The Hot Towels article will surely bring back a few memories for you.

Here is the post if you would like to read it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1421

Thanks for sharing your memories. if George is in Roscoe this year I hope to get the chance to talk to him.

Dennis

squish67

Post by squish67 »

George usually spends the spring at Oxbow Campground on the East Branch of the Delaware. He is in Shushan every once and awhile as one of his four sons still lives here. I haven't seen him to talk too in several years. I know last summer he was supposed to take over the managment of the flyshop at Campfire Lodge on the Madison, but that fell through.

dennis

Post by dennis »

S67,

Thank You

Dennis

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery »

Hi S67,
George bailed out a week before our season opener :? . Worked out OK as we hired a great tier Jim Lamar.
Too bad about George though, he did some tying for us while he was in the area.
Jim

FlySlinger

Post by FlySlinger »

Hi Guys I really like this fly also I used this fly Quit a lot on the Elk river In West Virginia....I had a lot of success with it...I think I am going to Tie myself a dozen or so.....That sounds very interesting now that I think of it....I am moving into a new house and as soon as I get my Fly tying Shop Set up I am going Get going on these....Weather permitting.......

Talk to you latter

FlySlinger