Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
tailwater

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by tailwater »

Having recently joined,I have read with great interest the pages of the Dorato hares ear posts. Bill was a good friend as were many of the others mentioned. I do find it odd that Bills very best friend and fishing partner Del Bednotti was never mentioned. Just to also clear up a couple of the posts from a while back. Dud Soper did not have his shop in the Catskills but did live in Downsville for a while. He also did not build bamboo rods but assembled glass and graphite rods and very rarely bamboo from blanks. His shop was on Adams Place in Delmar NY .The breadcrust as tied at the Springhole was a trimmed tail feather from the red phase of a grouse. It was split soaked and then used as the ribbing.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

tailwater wrote: ... I do find it odd that Bills very best friend and fishing partner Del Bednotti was never mentioned. ...
I believe this thread was originally started in March of 2010... the article I wrote for the Catkill Fly Tyers Guild appeared in the December 2012 issue of their Gazette... after much interest and research... Del Bednotti was given credit in that article, as I acquired quite a bit of info from Del, and we still occasionally exchange emails...

One of the last lines in my article was,

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank Tony Bonavist, Del Bedinotti, and Dave Plummer for background information used to pull this article together and introducing me to this highly effective dry-fly pattern.

If you would like a copy of that issue of the Gazette, with the article on the Dorato Hare's Ear, PM your email address and I will gladly send along an electronic copy... Dave Plummer introduced me to the DHE, Tony Bonavist re-introduced me to Del--- who I met many years ago through Frank Mele and Catskill Waters, plus Dick Talleur also shared info with me prior to his death...

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Jerry G wrote:In Dick Talleur's " Mastering the Art Of Fly Tying" he does a tutorial on the Hares Ear dry (Dorato). He briefly mentions clipping or squaring off the bottom hackle so as to aid in skittering the fly although he says that this is an option and some prefer to leave the hackle as wrapped. He also mentions the option as to whether to wing the fly or not. The fly was intended to suggest a caddis. The upright wood duck flank was intended to represent the fluttering wing of the fly. The tail which the caddis does not have was to support the rear of the fly.
Jerry, I would be incorrect to say Dorato, or his buddies, never clipped the top & bottom of the hackle... especially depending upon moods, circumstances, etc...having said that, my DHE that Bill Dorato tied--- and given to me by Del Bedinotti is NOT clipped... and, I just reread the email Del sent me back on March 5th, 2010... Bedinotti makes NO mention of clipping hackle... he did say that friends of Dorato, namely the late Frank Mele, tied their own versions of the DHE... I mentioned in a post just above, Talleur offers three versions in the book that I referenced... the original and two others...

and, the intent of the DHE was to imitate caddis, thus the spikey body and short tail...

I personally use small DHE's in 16 to 20 for BWO's with great success...

All I know, this dry fly catches trout, and plenty of tough/selective feeding fish...

Ed

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

Ed it looks like I sort of echoed much of what you had previously stated and I am sorry about that. That can either be scratched up to a mighty short memory or the need for someone that seldom posts here to try and add a little to the conversation. Seriously, you folks are so darn well referenced on this site I start feeling a bit guilty for being a lurker. :oops: It is though quite enjoyable reading and learning.

Interesting that you have had success with these when olives are hatching. I need to tie some smaller DHE's

Regards, Jerry

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Jerry G wrote: ... looks like I sort of echoed much of what you had previously stated and I am sorry about that. ... I start feeling a bit guilty for being a lurker. ...
Jerry, speaking only for myself, don't be... never be sorry about an honest effort to post/participate, or being a lurker... IMO I believe what makes any bulletin board fun to be around/successful is active involvement of members, lurkers and all... ;) :)

I can't say enough about DHE's in small sizes... :D

Ed

squish67

Post by squish67 »

In the seventies, we tied the Breadcrust 3 ways on the Battenkill. The classic was the Red Grouse rib, but the guys at the Springhole also used to tie them using brown, wood grain shelving paper cut into tapered strips. The ones on the board at the Angler's Nook were tied with red-brown trimmed neck hackles for a rib. They all had orange wool bodies and grizzly hen hackle. I did then and still do tie mine with shelving paper, as my mentor, Henry McIntyre, tied them that way. Honestly, though, they all work equally as well! There are points, however in tying, with the trimmed red phased grouse tail feather. Obtaining the correct color is part of that, but splitting and cleaning the tail feathers, and maintaining enough material really ups the ante! :D

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

tailwater wrote: ... I have read with great interest the pages of the Dorato hares ear posts. Bill was a good friend as were many of the others mentioned. I do find it odd that Bills very best friend and fishing partner Del Bednotti was never mentioned. ...
Del Bedinotti and I swapped a few emails over New Year's, so I sent him this link since his name was invoked... below I cut and paste his two responses...

Hi Ed Can't thank you enough for sending this along... Just the ticket for a cold day ... You brought back the best of my days with Willie... incidentally, when he and I were fishing the Battenkill in those days a guy named Ralph Entwistle ran the shop George took over later on... thus Willie's Hare's Ear pre-dated George's pattern... I believe George dropped the wood duck wing for economy's sake... as he was tying commercially... Thanks again Del

And, after I sent Del this: You’re welcome... any thoughts on comments... do you think we got Bill's DHE correct?

Hi I think you have the materials correct... as I mentioned before, Willie never cut the bottom hackle... I clearly remember he and I agreeing that the fly would twitch much better with full hackle and cutting the bottom (which was Dick's idea) would cause the fly to break through the surface film thereby ruining the skip... also, for a better caddis imitation, the tails should be short...

Note comments about the cut hackle and suggestion of Dick Talleur, who was also a good friend of both these flyfishers...

Ed

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

Too much tail. Not enough hackle. I thought it looked pretty good until I saw it macro. :(
doratoharesear.JPG
doratoharesear.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Mr. Don wrote:Too much tail. Not enough hackle. I thought it looked pretty good until I saw it macro. ...
Join the club... macro's do that to me all the time, magnify a few warts... :cry: not bad, but yes a little to much tail and tad too long per the original pattern... :| I also like a very spikey body, which helps skate it and I think acts as a trigger of sort...

Nice dry Mr. Don... :)

Ed

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

I've tied many Catskill dries over the years and I seem to have a mental block about shortening the tails. These are all too long! :oops:
bunchdhe.JPG
bunchdhe.JPG (88.37 KiB) Viewed 2036 times