Pale Morning Dun

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David Roberts

Pale Morning Dun

Post by David Roberts » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:54 am

Now I know Eric, has lots of patterns for PMD's, but doing a search here I only found 1 thread on them back 4 years ago. Do they not hatch back there? Any way I am done playing with wet fly's for a few day's and back to filling orders (what else PMD's) these are thorax style what are other favorite patterns. (these are going to a shop on Silver Creek in ID
David

BrownBear

Re: Pale Morning Dun

Post by BrownBear » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

David Roberts wrote:...thorax style....
That's a sweet style, isn't it. No matter the pattern from #12 March Browns to #26 BWO's, I find it's a surefire way to improve your acquaintance with smart fish. :P

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 pm

David, I'm a big fan of Rene Harrop's PMD...

Scroll down on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=602&hilit=+harrop

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 am

A year or so ago, the taxonomists reclassified the larger western PMD (infrequens, I think) as a subspecies of the eastern sulphur (dorothea). At least theoretically, this would/should make the patterns for each pretty similar. Personally, I always tied my sulfurns with just a hint of orange in the thorax area, and I've never done this for the PMD patterns. Maybe I should???

I still find the "moist" patterns (floating nymphs, emergers & cripples) more effective than duns during a PMD hatch, and the rusty spinner much more important than any other PMD pattern. Of those, Bonnie Harrop's biot paraspinner is the best I've ever used.

For the record, the best fly I've used during PMD hatches this year has been a CDC & Elk -- seems caddis are really high on the "most popular trout food" list this year.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Eric,
Me too. Last couple of years out West the CDC and Elk has been a great fly for me. On the Missouri especially.
Eric
Eric