Old style Gordon

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.

Old style Gordon

Post by David S. »

Inspired by the beautiful Golden Brown Spinner posted by Niklas Dahlin I decided to have a go at the pattern myself. In Mike Valla's book "The Founding Flies" there's a picture of an original Gordon tied by the man himself. As I happened to have some old style English mayfly hooks that seems to be a pretty good match to the ones used by Gordon I decided to go with a sort of "retro" look inspired by the original. It's not an exact replica, nor was it ever intended to be one. I believe the fly pictured in the book has a rolled (single) wing, I split mine as I intend to fish the fly. From the information in this thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6333 it seems Gordon did at times experiment with a split wing design as well so perhaps I'm not that far off after all.. //David S.
Attachments
Gordon.jpg
Gordon.jpg (317.89 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

catskilljohn

Re: Old style Gordon

Post by catskilljohn »

Wow...you really nailed the vintage look on that one Dave, very nice! Love that hook too! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

squire

Post by squire »

Very good representation and beautifully crafted.

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin »

Nice David... After my is search for info about the winging I am sure that he tied splitwings aswell as a rolled wing.
Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com