Dick Talleur & Stimulators

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

Dick Talleur & Stimulators

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:24 pm

What does Dick Talleur have to do with Stimulators? For most folks probably nothing; for me, Talleur hooked me on this pattern.

Back in the 90s Talleur wrote a magazine article on tying and fishing Stimulators, noting how good a searching dry fly it was. While I can’t place my hands on that piece, his book Guide to Fly Tying notes "… I used them as general attractor patterns and found they often brought sizeable fish to the surface…"

So I've been tying yellow Stimulators on Daiichi 1270 hooks in sizes 12 to 16 since. However, the 12 is actually a variation of the Stimulator called a Tulle Seducer that has more bulk by adding tulle, or bridal veil to the downwing plus a dark head of peacock herl. It’s often said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, meaning this fly is just a Stimulator variation.
DT & Stimulators.JPG
DT & Stimulators.JPG (159.26 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
I like the large sizes for the Esopus where there is a healthy population of Paragnetina immarginata, or eastern golden stones often found on rocks August through the end of September. For the most part adult stoneflies are not readily available to surface feeding trout, but they fly like Chinook Army transport helicopters to which I have witnessed some large trout clear several feet of water to grab one out of midair. :o
DT-stoneflies.jpg
DT-stoneflies.jpg (128.94 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
DT 13 inch Esopus bow, Seducer, & cane.jpg
DT 13 inch Esopus bow, Seducer, & cane.jpg (107.35 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
The #16’s I use for brook trout and small wild fish in confined places, but a Lime Trude or Elk Hair Stonefly is faster, easier to tie and just as effective.

By the way, in days long gone-by I would occasionally run into Dick Talleur fishing the Esopus; most often that would be at Hudler's Flats. He was also quite generous with his time instructing anglers like me.

Ed

Gene

Re: Dick Talleur & Stimulators

Post by Gene » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Ed, as usual very nice. Interesting to note that you use brown hackle palmered through the body and grizzly at the head. I do it more of a Henryville style grizzly body brown at the head. Also do you use the Fl. Red thread throughout the whole fly, even under the yellow dubbing? Maybe I'll tie some tomorrow, in between snow blowing 30+ inches of snow.

Gene

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Gene wrote:Ed, as usual very nice. Interesting to note that you use brown hackle palmered through the body and grizzly at the head. I do it more of a Henryville style grizzly body brown at the head. Also do you use the Fl. Red thread throughout the whole fly, even under the yellow dubbing? Maybe I'll tie some tomorrow, in between snow blowing 30+ inches of snow.

Gene
Gene,

Sometimes I find a pattern source, maybe misread it, maybe get it right, but keep going down that path no matter what, if/until I realize a mistake was made... years ago I used to obtain quite a few fly patterns from the internet, in fact, that's where I obtained this one... I printed several pages of Stimulator patterns/tying instructions from Randall Kaufmann's book, Tying Dry Flies... on this one, I basically followed his pattern EXCEPT it calls for a rib of "fine gold wire"... as I now look again, the photo and pattern provided do not match... the pattern does call for grizzly over an amber thorax, BUT it appears to be brown... so there could be a couple typos/mistakes... the rest is as I tied it... and, by the way, I did eventually purchase the Third Edition of the book, which is identical to what I just posted...

Ed

Gene

Post by Gene » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Ed didn't mean to imply that you tied it wrong I meant to imply that I do, just the way I like to do it.
Gene

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Gene wrote:Ed didn't mean to imply that you tied it wrong I meant to imply that I do, just the way I like to do it.
No sweat at all Gene... when I was looking for Dick Talleur's "quote" about the Stimulator I did see in his book Trout Flies for the 21st Century the thorax was brown hackle while the rib was grizzly, but that's not what Kaufmann's book lists...

Ed

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm

The yellow stimulator is a pattern that I've often turned to when I've covered "can't miss" water, but missed. It's amazing how often that fly will bring up a good fish or two when other flies have failed. I learned the pattern from Dave Hughes' book,Essential Trout Flies, where Hughes shows and lists it with brown hackle over the yellow body and grizzly over an amber thorax. The pattern in this book calls for hot orange thread, and that is what I have always used. Dave Hughes attributes the fly to Randall Kaufmann, but I've read here on SGM that the stimulator was originated by Jim Slattery based on the stoneflies of the Musconetcong River in NJ. I of course like the idea of this fly being born of a Jersey river. Killer fly in a variety of dressings (like em' in size 10 or 12 on TMC 200R) no matter where it came from.

Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 am

Barleywine wrote:The yellow stimulator ... I learned the pattern from Dave Hughes' book,Essential Trout Flies, where Hughes shows and lists it with brown hackle over the yellow body and grizzly over an amber thorax. The pattern in this book calls for hot orange thread, and that is what I have always used. Dave Hughes attributes the fly to Randall Kaufmann, but I've read here on SGM that the stimulator was originated by Jim Slattery based on the stoneflies of the Musconetcong River in NJ. I of course like the idea of this fly being born of a Jersey river. ...
Hi Chuck... the storm missed us totally, 3 inches of snow maybe... On SGM I read the same as you about the origin of the Stimulator on the Muskie in NJ by Jim Slattery, and not here to debate or doubt that... as you noted, David Hughes, and Dick Talleur, rightly or wrongly attribute this fly to Randall Kaufmann... whatever attribute means... anyway, I first started tying the Stimulator from an internet reference to Kaufmann's book I noted above...

It's bearly readable but: http://www.westernfishermanspress.com/d ... michap.pdf

Kaufmann called for grizzly hackle over the thorax, but as I wrote prior when I looked more carefully at the photo recently, it looks like brown... and interesting to read Talleur's version in his book, Trout Flies for the 21st Century, only used grizzly hackle throughout...

So while there appear to be questions on the hackle used in the pattern, and the creator, at least we all can agree on how effective the dry fly is... at least I think we can agree on that... :?

Thus I guess it all depends on whose reference one uses and what materials they had available when they tied the fly... I mean we are talking about trout flies and not sending a rocket into outer space where precision is a must... :P :roll: Keep on tying! ;)

Ed

BruceC

Post by BruceC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Ed... This post brought a smile to my face. Our late friend Aaron had a 25 yard roll of white tulle sitting on his desk still in the plastic wrap from the fabric store. So when helping to pack up all of his materials, I said what the hell, and through it in a bag. There it sat on my tying desk, just as it sat on his desk. So finally, some inspiration to pop the wrapping and add some tulle to my stimulators.

Thanks for the post!

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

BruceC wrote:Ed... This post brought a smile to my face. Our late friend Aaron had a 25 yard roll of white tulle sitting on his desk still in the plastic wrap from the fabric store. So when helping to pack up all of his materials, I said what the hell, and through it in a bag. There it sat on my tying desk, just as it sat on his desk. So finally, some inspiration to pop the wrapping and add some tulle to my stimulators.

Thanks for the post!
Bruce, Aaron was the one who told me what tulle is, and where I could find some...

Ed

BruceC

Post by BruceC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 pm

So it's come full circle. He would be chuckling for sure.