Chuck Caddis

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Frequenttyer

Chuck Caddis

Post by Frequenttyer »

Hello again!
I have been absent/lurking for quite a while. Between work and general life stuff I have had little time for tying and very little time for internet activity for almost a year now. I have been checking in and keeping up on the forums, and as the posts here on SGM are always a great break from an otherwise hectic pace. The Somerset show last week got me out of my rut and I was able to start refilling the boxes and trying some new (to me) patterns. One material that I have been wanting to work with is woodchuck, and since I fish a lot of caddis I thought I would give the chuck caddis a try. I really like working with the woodchuck (and honestly, the fact that today is Feb 2nd is coincidence). The guard hairs have great contrast with beautiful variation in color, and the underfur makes a very nice dubbing component. The flies here were dubbed with a mix of woodchuck underfur and tan rabbit.
I know some of you have tied and fished this pattern, so feedback would be appreciated. I think I have the wings a bit too long, and I struggled a bit deciding how dense the wings should be. In the end I decided that the a sparse wing would be enough to be suggestive of the natural and possibly give an illusion of movement as light passes through.
Regards,
Mike.
ChuckCaddis.JPG
ChuckCaddis.JPG (354.67 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
ChuckCaddi.JPG
ChuckCaddi.JPG (371.34 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

SgtMajUSMC

Re: Chuck Caddis

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Mike,

Those are great looking flies! I like the way you've tied them. The Chuck caddis is a favorite for fast water.

Take some time at the vise...it's good for us all.

Best,

Tim

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

Very nice. I hope they didn't see their shadow...

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

They look mighty fine to me... :D I use to fish this pattern quite a bit years gone-by... it caught plenty of browns and the occasional landlocked salmon for me up in the Adirondacks... in one of his books, I recall Eric Leiser saying something to the fact that woodchuck was the best fly tying material there is... so, there's something to be said about your flies... ;)

Ed

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin »

Nice fly buddy.
Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

I think you tied 'em just about right. Nice flies.

redietz

Post by redietz »

If you've ever compared the length of caddis fly's wing to the length of it's body, you'll know that you hit it just about right -- not too long at all.

Nice looking flies.
Bob

Frequenttyer

Post by Frequenttyer »

Thanks for the comments all. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and a chance to get them wet!
Mike.

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

This forum is becoming a bad influence in my life. Now I have to tie up a bunch of these Chuck Caddis that I really don't have room for in my boxes. I had just plain forgot how simple yet elegant this pattern is.

thanks (I think) :ugeek:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

That pattern looks so alive, I can almost see them buzzing on the table top where you took the photo!

I harvested a woodchuck skin in the fall, the poor lumbering mammal crossed paths with a SUV right in front of my driveway. I will certainly put it to use after seeing these. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"