'Innovative' Tying Techniques

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Allan

'Innovative' Tying Techniques

Post by Allan »

Just viewed a YouTube video wherein the tier ties a dry fly using a New Innovative Technique to create the body and then amazingly, another New Innovative Technique to make a parachute hackle collar! Does the use of a needle, around which you create the 'modular unit of 'tails and body, ring a bell? Maybe tying in a hackle at the thorax area and then tying in said module at that same location so that this module rests on top of the hook, extending beyond the bend of the hook with the body/tail having a slight upward curve, and a short length of the body's butt section extends in front of the tie in spot? Perhaps it's the innovative and never before heard of way in which the hackle is amazingly wound around and under the tail section of the extended body and the front wing but above the hook shank? Okay, the tier does place some silicone on the needle prior to the application of the body/tail. He also uses a mechanical device (drill) versus a rotary vise, electrical/battery operated screw driver or manual action. But I wonder if he's ever heard of the Dette 'Riffle Dun' or how Ralph Graves tied extended bodies, Darbee's 2 Feather Fly (that Al McClane dubbed 'the Hatch-Matcher'), Paul Weamer's Tru-fly, or how other tiers whose works have been published, also made extended bodies or sub-wing parachute dry flies? Sorry if this post sounds sarcastic. Sometimes I'm just amazed at the 'NEW' Innovative Techniques.

Allan

Slate_Drake_9

Re: 'Innovative' Tying Techniques

Post by Slate_Drake_9 »

Well, I created a totally new fly the other day that I call the SUPER GONZO HELL YEAH WILD ADVENTURE LOOK AT ME NYMPH. I used a lighter shade of brown pheasant tail to tie some PT nymphs and made the tail a quarter millimeter longer than the standard dressing would call for. I also used one extra tail fiber for the body.

I think I am going to try to sell it to Orvis and make a few videos of both me tying it and fishing it to enter in the annual fly fishing film festival. The fishing segment of the videos will feature me screaming "YEAH!" at the top of my lungs repeatedly, acting like I smoke a lot of dope and am a burnout that has too much disposable income (I don't, so I have to act that way because that is what is cool in fly fishing videos these days) and I am also going to act like I am the first person to ever fish a nymph dead drifted in an area that nobody else has ever fished before. I am also going to use one of those brand new style of fly rods they're currently touting because of their slow action or I am going to use a super mega ultra fast action rod (I will use a 12 weight saltwater rod lined with a 3 weight floating line) to land brookies out of the 6 man fly fishing rigged raft that is going to be parachute dropped into the upper reaches of Fir Brook. I suspect that if I can get enough drone shot footage that is obviously drone shot footage and act stupid enough (as described above) I will get an award for my film.

When this is all done and my fame fades away, I'm going to go back to tying and fishing just plain old PT nymphs with my bamboo rods in the tranquility of my brookie streams near home. I will have to do this in part because of the overcrowding I will have created on the brookie streams in the Catskills because of how awesome my fly and video was.

If any of you would like to participate in the filming of my video, please only show up if you are wearing a "trucker" hat with a fly fishing brand logo on it or a tossle cap with a brim on it. Please note, the brim on either of these hats must not be bent in any manner.

:roll:
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Allan

Post by Allan »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

Slate_Drake_9 wrote:Well, I created a totally new fly the other day that I call the SUPER GONZO HELL YEAH WILD ADVENTURE LOOK AT ME NYMPH. I used a lighter shade of brown pheasant tail to tie some PT nymphs and made the tail a quarter millimeter longer than the standard dressing would call for. I also used one extra tail fiber for the body.

I think I am going to try to sell it to Orvis and make a few videos of both me tying it and fishing it to enter in the annual fly fishing film festival. The fishing segment of the videos will feature me screaming "YEAH!" at the top of my lungs repeatedly, acting like I smoke a lot of dope and am a burnout that has too much disposable income (I don't, so I have to act that way because that is what is cool in fly fishing videos these days) and I am also going to act like I am the first person to ever fish a nymph dead drifted in an area that nobody else has ever fished before. I am also going to use one of those brand new style of fly rods they're currently touting because of their slow action or I am going to use a super mega ultra fast action rod (I will use a 12 weight saltwater rod lined with a 3 weight floating line) to land brookies out of the 6 man fly fishing rigged raft that is going to be parachute dropped into the upper reaches of Fir Brook. I suspect that if I can get enough drone shot footage that is obviously drone shot footage and act stupid enough (as described above) I will get an award for my film.

When this is all done and my fame fades away, I'm going to go back to tying and fishing just plain old PT nymphs with my bamboo rods in the tranquility of my brookie streams near home. I will have to do this in part because of the overcrowding I will have created on the brookie streams in the Catskills because of how awesome my fly and video was.

If any of you would like to participate in the filming of my video, please only show up if you are wearing a "trucker" hat with a fly fishing brand logo on it or a tossle cap with a brim on it. Please note, the brim on either of these hats must not be bent in any manner.

:roll:

Hilarious!!! :lol:

Make sure that you add a heavy metal soundtrack to the video, and don't forget to say several times at the start that "this is gonna' be EPIC!" :lol:

-Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

don't worry, someone 20 years from now will re invent he hares ear.

facebook and you tube heros. it's amazing how many of these people take it upon themselves to teach people how to do anything simply because they have an outlet. this is something bobby mead and i have talked about for a long while.

tw....love the sarcasm

Allan

Post by Allan »

Just to clarify something: What prompted this thread was a video in which there were claims about 'New Tying Techniques'.

flymank

Post by flymank »

great topic,most "new and or innovative tying techniques" are not new at all and have in fact been around for years/decades.tying articulated streamers on wadington shanks,multicolored trimmed deerhair bass bugs,extended bodies,no hackle dries just to name a few have been represented to me thru video and in person(think sommerset shows) recently as new?Many folks out there looking for there 15 min. of fame :roll: Most of them could use a history lesson.