Ginger Quill

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Matt Grobert

Ginger Quill

Post by Matt Grobert »

Like all the Catskill patterns, this one is a classic with the quill wings and peacock quill body.
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG (414.65 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

squish67

Re: Ginger Quill

Post by squish67 »

Beautiful, one of my favorites. Well tied! :D

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Stunning fly Matt, I love quill winged dries. :D

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

beautiful! nicely done.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Really nice Matt... really nice... ;) and, I have a special attachment to this pattern... the " second trout that I ever caught on a dry fly" ate a Ginger Quill on the Big Flat Brook back in the mid 60s... while I was just beginning to tie flies myself then, I'd purchase these at Huff's Sporting Goods Store located on Stuyvesant Avenue in Union, NJ--- long since gone...

Thanks for a great tie and fond memories... :D

Ed

mvalbano

Post by mvalbano »

Matt it's a great fly and the video you and tim did is awesome. I tied a few up myself!

Mike
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (673.53 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Allan

Post by Allan »

Matt,

Excellent tie of one of my favorite Catskill classic dry flies. I especially liked the video which I just viewed. Now for 2 questions: 1)Do you tie all your duck quill wings facing forward or do you sometimes tie them so they slant 'back'? 2)Do you reinforce the quill body, with xf wire, cement?

Thanks,

Allan

walt

Post by walt »

Ed, wow! The Big Flat Brook was my first and favorite trout stream starting around 1963. I haunted that stream whenever I could get there and I wasn't in school. I tied all my own flies because I could not afford to buy them. To this day I think I can count the flies I have actually purchased on my fingers.
Do you remember the fly shop that was on the corner of the road that leads to the Dingman's Ferry bridge. I can't remember the name of it. The owner used to tolerate a kid drooling over all the perfect looking flies in the bins, and not being able to buy any. My first fly rod was a collapsable steel rod. I wore it out. Thanks for the memories, Walt