Conover

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Crepuscular

Conover

Post by Crepuscular »

I'm not sure on this How does the wool to muskrat ratio look? Mustard 94840 #12

Eperous

Re: Conover

Post by Eperous »

Eric... looks good to me... ;) but judge for yourself... here's one that Joe Fox tied, posted on the "Dry Fly Database" on this bulletin board...

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=693

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

A pattern that will live in my mind and heart forever as it was a Dette tied Conover that accounted for my first (as well as 2nd, 3rd, and at least 4th or more) dry fly Beaverkill trout -- sometime in the mid to late 60s. Like so many Catskill dries, it is both beautiful and effective.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Sweet looking tie Eric :)

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

hey eric and simple!!!!!!

love it all sizes from about 18-20 up through the iso sizes...

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

fly_fischa wrote:Sweet looking tie Eric :)
Thank you very much. I like this pattern very much. The colors are a little off in the photo, but it'll fish. 8-)

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Like Eric P, when I think Conover I think Dettes. Joe makes them so perfect, carrying on the tradition.

Once when I was over there, I asked him for a couple hackle tips after he snipped them off the flies he was tying. They are in a bag taped in my "Dette's" book with a little dated note. The right color so I never forget, and with a little Dette DNA on them :lol: CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

fly_fischa wrote:Sweet looking tie Eric :)
thanks!!

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

I've tried to duplicate two Catskill flies, the Cinberg, and Neversink Skater. Both of these flies I did my best to stay in line with tradition. And I'm happy to say both flies were taken readily by my friendly brook trout.

This is my attempt to tie the Conover. Not the right hackle, I'm working on that, and the dubbing was made from stock on hand. In the next days I will be testing it out. Your helpful comments are appreciated.

DSCN4763.JPG
DSCN4763.JPG (546.33 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Brk Trt

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

The dubbing color looks pretty close to Joe's and the body taper is nicely done. The hackle is what makes this pattern, though. Once you find that, you'll be spot on.