Mary Dette.. the movie

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Niklas Dahlin

Mary Dette.. the movie

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Guys..
Made a little video about my tribute fly to Mary Dette. I know there are some bloopers in the video, hope that you can see pass them :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjpyZXa4A4

Best wishes
Niklas
Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com

Barleywine

Re: Mary Dette.. the movie

Post by Barleywine » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Niklas, that's a wonderful tying video. Great details and instruction, particularly the way you demonstrated the preparation of the wing before tye in. I always appreciate a well-presented lesson. Please keep them coming.

-Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 am

Barleywine wrote:Niklas, that's a wonderful tying video. Great details and instruction, particularly the way you demonstrated the preparation of the wing before tye in. I always appreciate a well-presented lesson. Please keep them coming.

-Chuck
Thanks Chuck

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:18 am

A very nice tribute to a wonderful lady who has inspired many of us in many ways. Also a great testament to the value of thread control in tying, especially in your mounting of the wings. Thank you for sharing, Niklas.

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:56 am

Great clear well done video!

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:26 am

Mantis wrote:Great clear well done video!
tie2fish wrote:A very nice tribute to a wonderful lady who has inspired many of us in many ways. Also a great testament to the value of thread control in tying, especially in your mounting of the wings. Thank you for sharing, Niklas.
Thanks guys..

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Niklas,

Very good video. Thanks for that. I don't know if you've seen the video of Mary tying. She was videotaped a couple of times, at the CFFM and one or two meetings of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild. I was lucky enough to be at each of these events, had a front row seat, and watched her, as did the others who were in attendance, as she tied many of the patterns in the book you referenced. I don't know if the video is still available from the Fy Tyers Guild and/or the Museum but you really should try to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

Thanks again.

Allan

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 am

Years ago Mary was tying flies at Ramsey Outdoors when she asked if there was a particular fly anyone wanted to see...So wiseass me said a variant. She looked at me knowing the answer when she said "yes...if you can find the hackles"..
well i gave her a number of necks and she picked out 6 i repeat six hackles and proceeded to tie one. For some reason i started counting the turns of hackle...she used 24 !!! i told her about that a years or so ago and she thight i was nuts (she still does)..

anyway i wish that was video taped...

hey nik well done and a very nice tribute to a Catskill treasure...

yo

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 pm

ted patlen wrote:Years ago Mary was tying flies at Ramsey Outdoors when she asked if there was a particular fly anyone wanted to see...So wiseass me said a variant. She looked at me knowing the answer when she said "yes...if you can find the hackles"..
well i gave her a number of necks and she picked out 6 i repeat six hackles and proceeded to tie one. For some reason i started counting the turns of hackle...she used 24 !!! i told her about that a years or so ago and she thight i was nuts (she still does)..

anyway i wish that was video taped...

hey nik well done and a very nice tribute to a Catskill treasure...

yo
Allan wrote:Niklas,

Very good video. Thanks for that. I don't know if you've seen the video of Mary tying. She was videotaped a couple of times, at the CFFM and one or two meetings of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild. I was lucky enough to be at each of these events, had a front row seat, and watched her, as did the others who were in attendance, as she tied many of the patterns in the book you referenced. I don't know if the video is still available from the Fy Tyers Guild and/or the Museum but you really should try to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

Thanks again.

Allan
Off course I have seen it :-).. I even got a copy.. Thanks Allan.. thanks Ted

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:33 am

Allan wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm
... I don't know if you've seen the video of Mary tying. She was videotaped a couple of times, at the CFFM and one or two meetings of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild.
Is this video viewable somewhere on the internet?