FLY Agra floatant observation.

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
troutfisher

FLY Agra floatant observation.

Post by troutfisher »

A couple of years back I heard about Fly Agra dry fly dressing which was touted as being very good. The name itself invoked curiousity! It seems to be a product that is only available out west as I couldn't find anyone carrying it in the East. Since I hate using paste-type dressings I tracked it down and obtained a bottle. I am passing on my initial experience trying it to anyone else who has also heard of this product and is likewise curious about it.

Firstly, it is recommended that you pre-treat your flies like when using Loon Hydrostop. I didn't like dipping a dozen flies in the solution and leaving them out to dry overnight. I found it to be messy as the hackle still held a lot of the solution, even after blowing and shaking. In some cases the solution didn't dry completely overnight and it transferred over to my fingers the following morning.

Secondly, I found the Fly Agra darkened all my fly bodies making it very difficult to differentiate between shades and even colors. It completely took the brilliance away from the white bodies of my coffin flies making them look grayish and uninteresting to me, and probably the fish. It may work better with some types of dubbing than others but I have my favorites and they were the basis of the experiment. Hindsight tells me I should have done some test dipping first.

IMHO, this product is probably better suited for Trudes, Goofus Bugs and other western flies for fish that aren't as selective as ours. I wasn't at all happy with what it did to the flies I treated and am now re-tying all of them. This is just my experience and I'm passing it along for what it's worth. You might have a different experience. As for me, I'm back to paste-type dressings. :cry:

chichesterpaul

Re: FLY Agra floatant observation.

Post by chichesterpaul »

I have a buddy who guides in Breckinridge, CO and he swore Fly-Agra would change my life.

I've used it a couple dozen times.

Verdict: used on its own its worthless. Used in conjunction with Gink/paste, it may or may not work better than Gink/paste on its own.

In Spanish, I think you would call it El-Crapo.

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

Have never heard of the Agra floatant. Have been using Albolene (makeup cleaner / moisturizer) for MANY years and the 12 oz tub will last me for several lifetimes. Have heard rumors that some guides / fly shops repack the Albolene into small tubes and sell it as a "Special floatant" but can't prove that comment.

Not only does it work great on dry flies but, if your hands get chapped, it's great to rub on your hands.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Dear Evertbody, I've been using Abolene for years and years. I take some out of the can and put it into a small container that I carry in my vest. Put a little on your fingers and rub onto the fly then put fly with Abolene onit close to your mouth and exhale onto the fly . This way it will sort of melt and get into the fly better. Bill the mailman

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Abolene
Kerosene

both work equally well - i have the same drawer full of worthless expensive products that everyone else has......for the record:

"The old way is the best way"
“Time to go fishing”

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi Theroe, I was like you and buying all sorts of fly flotants. Then one day I was at Charlie's on the Lackawaxen and he told me about Abolene went out and bought a can of it and have been using it ever since. I think I bought my first can in the 80's. I can't remember when but it does work great. Bill the mailman

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

me too - Charlie told me in 1982 - I still have the can I bought that year.....its about half full.

BTW - Charlie passed away October 2016........
“Time to go fishing”

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, I still have my can of Abolene that I bought back in the 80's and I probably have more than half full still. Vance

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns »

Just ordered some Abolene on Amazon, a 3oz tube. https://smile.amazon.com/Albolene-Moist ... lene+cream
Will be trying it shortly, thanks for the tip guys.
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

madcap3693

Post by madcap3693 »

I use a 1 to 3 Albolene to Ronsonol Lighter fluid ratio for my flotant. It works much better than any silicone product like Gink IMHO. Its dirt cheap to make as well. Has anyone tried a flotant with Albolene and white gas (Coleman Camp Fuel)?
Chris

All men are equal before fish......

Cold, Clean, Fishable Water

http://www.eastjerseytu.org