Otzinger single wing dun

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
fly_fischa

Otzinger single wing dun

Post by fly_fischa »

Inspired by my good friend Chris Williams with this one. It's my first attempt at one of Otzinger's Single Wing Duns in an adamsish flav, a fly created and popularised by the late great Eric Otzinger. It's a pretty fussy technique and hackle selection for the wing is crucial, looks deceptively simple. Might have to tie a few more before I'm happy :?

Last edited by fly_fischa on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tie2fish

Re: Otzinger single wing dun

Post by tie2fish »

A very well-tied take on an interesting pattern. Curious about how this fly will land on the water, what with the relatively heavy wing and all. IMO, the macro photography is superior.

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Thanks Bill,
Apparently the fly fishes really well according to a good friend who has some experience with the fly. It doesn't helicopter/spin as it's a single wing, not solid and is flexible. Durability is an issue without a little reinforcement. My version isn't that great but hey, gotta start somewhere. I had to use the portion of the feather where the rachis was thick so I'd have long enough barbs (only grizz cape I have access to). If I used CDL or Hen saddle the barbs would be longer and the rachis more flexible. When Chris ties the the wing he starts further back and the rachis has a nice curve to it. When I tie a decent one I'll post it.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Beautiful, well tied and great photography! :D

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

thats really a great fly -

years back, I met a fellow who tied a pattern very similar, but sizes #18 & 20........met him on the east branch(Delaware). It was late August, during the BLANKET Iso hatch which comes off there..... I gave him a Coch-y Bondhu quill -he gave me one of those tiny single wing BWO's.........wish I remembered his name.
“Time to go fishing”

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

i have seen this and it does indeed make a very nice wing. i am not entirely sure but I do believe that the sten of the hackle was positioned at the front of the wing. nice work

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Thanks Ed, Dana and Ted.
The wing is definitely tied with the rachis/stem at the back. In the original Otzinger tied his tails, dubbed a body to the half way mark, tied in the hackle stem one side stripped of barbs (barbs pointing up/towards the back of the hook), shiny side facing you, dubbed a firm ball a la dubbing emerger wound 2-4 wraps of hackle around the dubbing ball para style, pulled the hackle barbs down with the dominant tying hand and tied it down with the non dominant hand. Easy peasy, not, easier said than done ;) I hope that makes sense? K