Epeorus pleuralis (Quill Gordon)

Joe Fox

Epeorus pleuralis (Quill Gordon)

Post by Joe Fox »

Family: Heptageniidae (hep-tuh-gene-uh-day)
Genus: Epeorus (ee-pee-or-us)
Species pleuralis (ploor-alice)
Dun
The famed Quill Gordon, this photo was taken on a cold raining day on April 1st- 2012, Sullivan County, NY- water temp was 44* air temp 52*.

Spinner Photo taken 5/9/15 @ 7:00am.Water temp 56*, sunny.

CJ

northcountryman

Re: Epeorus pleuralis (Quill Gordon)

Post by northcountryman »

I am embarrassed to say that I've NEVER fished a Quill gordon and own NO Quill gordon specific patterns in my flybox!! This is 1 of the early season Mayfly hatches correct?
Alot of times, it takes me a bit to sort of get "warmed up" to the season in early to mid April so I often miss this hatch (Ithink!!). Don't Quill gordon dries sort of look like an Adams?

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

On the rare occasions I have actually experienced a good fishing hatch of QGs, a wet or softhackle has worked better than a dry. The duns emerge subsurface and the fish really seem to key on them as they drift up the column into the air.

Eric

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

I belong to several FF forums and I'm trying to remember if I saw much talk this season (or last) about QG's in posts; I don't think so. Is this still an preeminent Mayfly in the Catskills you think?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

northcountryman wrote:I belong to several FF forums and I'm trying to remember if I saw much talk this season (or last) about QG's in posts; I don't think so. Is this still an preeminent Mayfly in the Catskills you think?
From what I've read and experienced, I don't think so... I can remember back in the early 1970's seeing a very good Quill Gordon hatch on the Esopus, but haven't seen one on that stream since... I do occasionally see Quill Gordons on a headwater trib I fish.... always exciting, makes me reflect back on Art Flick's litte Streamside Guide book...

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

It had always been a major hatch on the Brodheads and other Pocono streams. Dunno if that is still the case.

Eric

dennis

Post by dennis »

There are no Quill Gordon's on my home stream(that I know of)but I do tye and use them in the late winter/early spring season just to reflect back on Schweibert's book Matching the Hatch. I also fish them with respect to Gordon. He used his QG for many of the blue-gray mayflys on his Neversink. Dennis

redietz

Post by redietz »

They exist on my home stream, but in insignificant numbers. I saw one this year, and that's about average. The pattern catches fish in early April nevertheless.

bobfly

Post by bobfly »

Two Opening Days ago I fished the Big Bushkill Creek in PA and the QG hatch was fantastic . Never saw anything like it in the 12 to 15 years I've fished the Catskill rivers . Beautiful bug !