Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson / Red Quill)

Joe Fox

Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson / Red Quill)

Post by Joe Fox »

Family: Ephemerellidae (????)
Genus: Ephemerella (ef-fem-er-ella)
Species: subvaria (sub-vary-uh)

Dun

Spinner

northcountryman

Re: Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson / Red Quill)

Post by northcountryman »

This is 1 of those mayflies that has a different name for the male/females, right? If I'm not mistaken, the female is the Hendrickson? Also, if you don't have a specific Hendrickson pattern w/ you, what is the next best attractor pattern would you say for Hendrickson's?

Allan

Post by Allan »

northcountryman wrote:This is 1 of those mayflies that has a different name for the male/females, right? If I'm not mistaken, the female is the Hendrickson? Also, if you don't have a specific Hendrickson pattern w/ you, what is the next best attractor pattern would you say for Hendrickson's?
As you say, there are names AND PATTERNS that differentiate males from females. The 'Red Quill' is the male. The 'Hendrickson' is the female. So, which one are you asking about?

If the 'Red Quill', then perhaps a dubbed body (reddish brown) comparadun.
If the 'Hendrickson', then a dubbed body (same dubbing as in the standard) comparadun.
If I had none of the above I'd look for a 'Usual' tied with the right color snowshoe rabbit.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions and no one can be sure. After all, the trout are the final arbitors of such things.

Allan

redietz

Post by redietz »

An Adams is a fair substitute. (Except that I often use a Hendrickson where other would use an Adams ...)

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Would an Adams also be a fair substitute for a Red Quill pattern if you didn't have 1 in your box and were SURE it was the male hatching in that part of the stream?

redietz

Post by redietz »

northcountryman wrote:Would an Adams also be a fair substitute for a Red Quill pattern if you didn't have 1 in your box and were SURE it was the male hatching in that part of the stream?
I've certainly caught fish on an Adams under those circumstances, but in my river the hatch is never so heavy as to blanket the water. (A good hatch is if I see at least 10 at the same time.) A Dark Hendrickson wet also works well when there are red quills on the water, and they look nothing like the actual insect.

The more I fish, the more my fly selection has become empirical, rather than reasoned from first principles. If a fly has caught fish for me before under similar conditions, it's likely to again and I no longer really care why. It's fun to experiment, though.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

I think of this insect as my eastern counterpart to the western PMD. I used to carry no less than eight variations of the emerger and dun and would probably fish every variation I had during some stage of the hatch. For the dun, the war chest had cut-wings, no-hackles, Comparaduns, traditional ties, thorax patterns, and cripples. Thank God there was no CDC around when I fishing it, because then it would have multiplied the choices.

Eric

squish67

Post by squish67 »

It was the same here, at least 10 different patterns for the Hendrickson hatch, now it is pretty much a slate/tan compara dun, a brown parachute, and some non-descript dark emerger in the right sizes. Of course, after all that they are usually taking #18 Blue Quills, but with only 3 patterns to go through, I reach that conclusion before the feeding is over and can adjust accordingly! Also, anytime trout are rising, I'll put on a Usual, even if the color comes no where close to matching.

redietz

Post by redietz »

ewpeper wrote:I think of this insect as my eastern counterpart to the western PMD. I used to carry no less than eight variations of the emerger and dun and would probably fish every variation I had during some stage of the hatch. For the dun, the war chest had cut-wings, no-hackles, Comparaduns, traditional ties, thorax patterns, and cripples. Thank God there was no CDC around when I fishing it, because then it would have multiplied the choices.
That's the way I feel about sulfurs. I have a whole box dedicated to just them. They fish see a lot of them, and a lot of artificials. You've got to mimic exactly the stage they're feeding on.

I could probably get by with just one fly for the Hendrickson hatch in my area, though.
Last edited by redietz on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

I carry very few patterns for subvaria, Hendrickson Comparadun, Red Quill Parachute, Rusty Spinner, Pheasant Tail Nymph and maybe my Hendrickson Tranny Emerger. The last couple of years I just have used anything in my box, last year I had tons of Grey Fox Traditional so I used them without issue. Something about this bug, maybe time of year, makes them much less selective, but maybe that is just me. I love subvaria because the vast majority of biggest fish I catch each season is during this hatch.
Joe