Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson / Red Quill)

northcountryman

Re: Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson / Red Quill)

Post by northcountryman »

Joe;

I see you have a few specific patterns you use exclusively here for subvaria. Looks like only 1 is a nymph? Do you have a favorite rig up for fishing Hendrickson's? In other words, 2 fly, 3 fly setup, indicators, etc.

Thanks,

Northcountryman

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

In general I fish just a single dry when fishing a hendrickson, but in a blue moon I will throw a lightly or unweighted pheasant tail off the back of one. If I had to pick a wet, at times I do when fishing a wet fly rig, I use a pheasant tail soft hackle. It makes a good dropper, but I have found no need to carry them. Between the flies I listed in my last post I never need it.
That time of year my nymph rig will sometimes be 3 pheasant tails a #12, #14 and #16 for Hendrickson, Red Quill and Blue Quill (paralep).

redietz

Post by redietz »

Joe Fox wrote: Something about this bug, maybe time of year, makes them much less selective, but maybe that is just me.
I think you hit the nail on the head with "time of year". I find it far easier to catch trout when the Hendricksons are on than at any other time of year.

northcountryman

Joe;

With your 3- nymph rig, any particular order for them? you have the largest probably as the anchor or point fly right followed by the #14?

northcountryman

You think that perhaps because this is one of the earlier hatches of the season, trout are a little more aggressive, little more reckless that they are a bit easier to take as some of you have suggested? Or maybe because these hatches tend to be more intense than some others?

Allan

Post by Allan »

north,

Another reason that you came close to saying and to be considered is that, since this hatch is early in the season, there are more fish in the water and most do not have multiple holes in their lips.

Allan

northcountryman

Allan;

When you're right, you're right!! Makes sense to me!!

redietz

Post by redietz »

Allan wrote: Another reason that you came close to saying and to be considered is that, since this hatch is early in the season, there are more fish in the water and most do not have multiple holes in their lips.
There's something to be said for that, but I don't think it explains all of it. The stream I fish (all wild fish, 100% catch & release) is electro-surveyed in the fall, and still has 4,000 fish per mile at that time of the year, so there are still plenty of fish. What's more, it's fished year-round, so they probably don't have any more holes in their lips at one time of the year than any other.

There's still the factor that the fish haven't eaten much all winter, and are just plain hungry. They get hungry again pre-spawn, and that's the other time of the year when they can be ridiculously easy to catch.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Male & female Ephemerella subvaria (Upper Midwest)...

dennis

Post by dennis »

redietz wrote:
Allan wrote: Another reason that you came close to saying and to be considered is that, since this hatch is early in the season, there are more fish in the water and most do not have multiple holes in their lips.
There's something to be said for that, but I don't think it explains all of it. The stream I fish (all wild fish, 100% catch & release) is electro-surveyed in the fall, and still has 4,000 fish per mile at that time of the year, so there are still plenty of fish. What's more, it's fished year-round, so they probably don't have any more holes in their lips at one time of the year than any other.

There's still the factor that the fish haven't eaten much all winter, and are just plain hungry. They get hungry again pre-spawn, and that's the other time of the year when they can be ridiculously easy to catch.
redietz - I agree with your last statement completely. They are hungry and the Hendrickson is the first meaty mayfly to hatch at that time of year. I also have noticed that the fish will become more selective as the hatch progresses to where after a month of hatching size, color, shape and most of all presentation means everything.