Soft hackles

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
Eperous

Soft hackles

Post by Eperous »

This morning I tied a couple dozen soft-hackle wet flies, before the sad debacle in our nation's capitol, D.C. took place...

On the top of my list was a Partridge & Orange I use as a dropper some 6" below a dry fly for summer brook trout, on headwater Catskill streams....

Partridge & Orange, #12 Mustad 3399.JPG
Partridge & Orange, #12 Mustad 3399.JPG (87.21 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Also tied several Partridge & Peacock that served me well in 2020 as a dropper off a dry, when spring Iso's were about on the Esopus Creek...

Partridge & Peacock, #12 Mustad 3399.JPG
Partridge & Peacock, #12 Mustad 3399.JPG (86.97 KiB) Viewed 398 times

... and I have to shout to to Harry Murray from the Shenandoah region for his Mr. Rapidan Emerger, which has served me well on the Esopus in May when March Browns and caddis are popping off the river..

Mr. Rapidan Emerger, #14 Mustad 9671.JPG
Mr. Rapidan Emerger, #14 Mustad 9671.JPG (70.07 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Ed

Caneghost

Re: Soft hackles

Post by Caneghost »

Nicely tied sir! The Partridge and Orange is a favorite.

Among older, classic patterns I have fond memories of the Breadcrust. Decades ago I fished some exasperating midge and microcaddis emergences on Maryland's Gunpowder Falls during late fall and winter. Some days they would gooble midges and ignore every imitation. A size 16 Breadcrust would be taken readily I discovered when drifted over them in the film.

I designed one a few years back that is nice when the fish are particularly contrary during a heavy Hendrickson hatch. I call it the drowned Hendrickson, and it has a wrapped dun CDC feather fronted by partridge, for a bit more bubbly flotation and movement. Try it if you like.
Drowned Hendrickson .jpg
Drowned Hendrickson .jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 379 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Caneghost wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 am
... I designed one a few years back that is nice when the fish are particularly contrary during a heavy Hendrickson hatch. I call it the drowned Hendrickson, and it has a wrapped dun CDC feather fronted by partridge, for a bit more bubbly flotation and movement.
Nice... :)

redietz

Post by redietz »

Caneghost wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 am

I call it the drowned Hendrickson, and it has a wrapped dun CDC feather fronted by partridge, for a bit more bubbly flotation and movement.
I'll sometimes add a CDC feather to a Dark Hendrickson wet It's very effective.
Bob

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Do you tie your dark similarly or use CDC as a downwing? I have used it for down wings on wets before since it moves a lot when wet and can always be fished in the film with a bit of drying.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

redietz

Post by redietz »

Similar to your light, but with a wood duck wing added.
Bob