The "Classic" Classic wet flies. What is truly "Classic"?

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
gfen

Re: The "Classic" Classic wet flies. What is truly "Classic"

Post by gfen »

For my first post, I'd like to kick the dirt off a year old dormant thread... although its the reason I signed up.

The short of it is I've been favouring winged wet flies exclusively since fall, and the idea that the carefully nuanced, meticulous flies that are so often displayed aren't really what was intended for use.

Makes sense, really.

The thing is, trying to google up "classic wet fly" or any other possibly variation returns only pictures of people who produce the artistic quality flies (or, obviously, show only those examples). I was wondering if there was any way some of the initial post pictures could be re-posted or shared?

I'd like to be reassured my sloppy messes are period correct. ;)

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

gfen wrote:For my first post, I'd like to kick the dirt off a year old dormant thread... although its the reason I signed up. ... I'd like to be reassured my sloppy messes are period correct. ;)
Welcome Gfen :D ... sounds like you're tying "fishing flies" like me... if the trout like 'em, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks... keep on looking here and asking, and most of all--- keep on tying... tight lines in 2013... ;)

Ed

Allan

Post by Allan »

gfen wrote:The short of it is I've been favouring winged wet flies exclusively since fall, and the idea that the carefully nuanced, meticulous flies that are so often displayed aren't really what was intended for use.

I'd like to be reassured my sloppy messes are period correct. ;)
Hi gfen,

Personally, I don't tye many wet flies because I don't fish them very often. Also, I can't marry wings. More importantly, to answer your question, I think you may be expecting too much if you think that many of the tyers who bother to photograph and post flies they've tyed are going to put forth anything less than the best example of their work. And YES, they are intended fior the fish. I mean, most here will tye 1/2 or 1 dozen wet or dry flies of a particular pattern. Would you expect them to photograph one of the 'lesser' flies of the bunch :lol:. Of course, guys who post here and tye fantastic flies, including wets, will occassionally be dissatisfied with something as they're tying a fly. However, I think if you were to ask them, they'd tell you that as they tye the fly and see an error, they immediately go back or cut back the 'error' and retye that section over. Thereby, the finished fly is every bit as good as they expect it to be. I hope I speak for most who tye and post and no one takes any offense whatsoever to this.
So, if you happen to feel you're being bombarded with 'perfectly tyed flies', rest assured that somewhere along the line a few flies required the tyer to retye something to get it to look that good. Additionally, when we go to our fly box, do you think we pick out the one we like least? We have to satisfy ourselves before we can hope to satisfy the fish we're after.
Oh, and lastly, you'll find that you will be your worst critic :lol: Just enjoy your tyeing and have fun.

Good luck.

Allan

dennis

Post by dennis »

Welcome gfen,

We like to think of ourselves as more relaxed, more traditional, more single malt. ;)

Tye - Fish and Enjoy

Dennis

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

gfen,

First, welcome to the site!

If period correct tyed wet flies are what you seek, I know of no better reference than McClains Fly Fishing Encyclopedia. The Darbee tyed wet flies in there are just fantastic. If you dont have that book, I could post the pictures here for you. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

CJ, I for one would really appreciate seeing the Darbee wets posted here. Thank you for offering to do so.

Regards, Jerry

flymank

Post by flymank »

Ya cj I want to see them too!PLEASE-flymank out

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Jerry, John,

Your wish is my command! I pinned it in this forum, so it stays on top. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"