Brook trout wet flies

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
Eperous

Brook trout wet flies

Post by Eperous » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I finished filling my 2015 wet-fly needs today by tying a bunch of #4 Ed Sens Giant Stonefly wets and a few #10 Puffer’s. The Puffer is an old Adirondack wet-fly pattern that catches brook trout.

Mary Orvis Marbury includes the pattern, and its history, in her book Favorite Flies and Their Histories. Mike Valla briefly touches upon Puffer Pond, the place this wet is named after, in his Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area, NY article that appeared in the July/August 2014 issue of Eastern Fly Fishing.
Puffer, #10 Mustad S70-3399.JPG
Puffer, #10 Mustad S70-3399.JPG (147.34 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
This pattern catches wild Catskill mountain brook trout also; here’s 15 inch brookie in its autumn attire.
15 inch Puffer wet fly brook trout.JPG
15 inch Puffer wet fly brook trout.JPG (276.86 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Here’s my old fashion leather bound, sheepskin special fly book filled with brook trout patterns. Look here and you’ll see some Puffer’s, plus Cowdungs, Black Gnats, Scarlet Ibis, Carey Specials, and others. They all catch trout.
Brook trout wet flies.JPG
Brook trout wet flies.JPG (222.83 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Hey, if you're an Esopus Creek flyfisher, where big summer stoneflies abound, you had better have some of these also,
Ed Sens Giant Stonefly, #4 Mustad R73-9671.JPG
Ed Sens Giant Stonefly, #4 Mustad R73-9671.JPG (153.05 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Ed

tie2fish

Re: Brook trout wet flies

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Ed ~ Your posts and your fly wallet contain a storehouse of information on classic wet fly patterns -- something I really enjoy seeing. Thank you.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:04 pm

tie2fish wrote:Ed ~ Your posts and your fly wallet contain a storehouse of information on classic wet fly patterns -- something I really enjoy seeing. Thank you.
Thanks Bill... not sure how many wet flies/patterns you can determine in the wallet, but...

Ed

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh man Ed, that fly wallet is showing some veterans of the stream. All ready to hit the stream once again. The only bad part of your post is reading that you have completed tying your wet flies. This has been a very enjoyable thread.

Regards, Jerry

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Jerry G wrote: ... The only bad part of your post is reading that you have completed tying your wet flies. ...
Sorry bout that Jerry... my fly-tying approach to a new/coming trout season is very anal, on my part... :oops: First I start with streamers, then move on to nymphs, next wet flies, then finally dries--- all types... it all has to do with something I read Dick Talleur write about years ago, thread management ;) ... after fishing season, when I first start tying, I start with streamers and heavier tying thread... then as I continue tying, I move along to spider-web stuff to eventually tie 20's to 24's dries, and maybe smaller... :)

Having said that, here's my traditional wet-fly box... Look carefully and you’ll see plenty of old classic and Catskill patterns, including several created/tied by the Ray Smith and Ralph Hoffman, two of the best Esopus Creek wet-fly fishers...
Wet-fly box.JPG
Wet-fly box.JPG (218.86 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Hope you see some Leadwing Coachmans, Hare's Ear, Dark Cahill, Royal Coachman, Claret Gnats, Wild Turkeys, Brown Hackle, Iron Blue Duns, Black Bears, soft-hackles galore, Green Wisps, Female Beaverkills, Fish Pots, even a couple Neversinks, plus lots more...

I love wet flies!

And, since I'm putting a punctuation mark on this topic, here's my favorite wet-fly rod... a Heddon Black Beauty...
Heddon Black Beauty & 15 inch brown.JPG
Heddon Black Beauty & 15 inch brown.JPG (148.62 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Thanks for the comments...

Ed

novabass

Post by novabass » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I enjoy seeing your flies Ed, very nice!
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!