North Country Flies

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
Brk Trt

North Country Flies

Post by Brk Trt »

These are a few of my favorites. They especially working well these last few weeks.

Various color thread bodies, peacock thorax, and a few turns of starling.
spiders.jpg
spiders.jpg (715.61 KiB) Viewed 1969 times

Brk Trt

redietz

Re: North Country Flies

Post by redietz »

They would certainly do the business in my stream.
Bob

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Very nice indeed... ;)

I played a bit with a small old-time Black Gants for summer brook trout this year and surprised myself with results... however, your flies look like killers... :)

Ed

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

Brk Trt wrote:These are a few of my favorites. They especially working well these last few weeks.

Various color thread bodies, peacock thorax, and a few turns of starling.

spiders.jpg

Brk Trt
Hi, BT. Like this site, I've been a faithful reader of yours for a long time, but never posted a comment. I've always liked the hooks you tie with, could I ask you who makes them? They look like Allens...?

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

[quote][/quote]Hi, BT. Like this site, I've been a faithful reader of yours for a long time, but never posted a comment. I've always liked the hooks you tie with, could I ask you who makes them? They look like Allens...?

First thanks for reading the blog.

The hooks are Allen...W502BL wet fly hook. They are extremely sharp and they hold the fish. Great price also.

Brk Trt

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Those are very nice soft hackles Brk Trt and would certainly work well over here on our trout and grayling. In fact I may tie some up for a forth coming trip to one of my local rivers this weekend. It has been a hot dry summer over here in the UK and we have had unseasonably warm start to our autumn, patterns like these on #18 hooks will be excellent on our early autumn grayling.

Alistair
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

A brown spider. Tied on a size 18 hook, brown thread body, hares mask thorax, and bleached starling hackle.
DSCN6493.JPG
DSCN6493.JPG (752.44 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Alan

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

A very productive day....they were on the feed.
Spiders.....
DSCN6520.JPG
DSCN6520.JPG (640.61 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Alan

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

What's not to like here. A great looking little stream. A very colorful brookie and some very nicely tied spiders. I am wondering about the bleached starling though Alan. Do you find them to be any more fragile to work with than the already fragile natural hackle?

Regards, Jerry

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

Jerry G wrote:What's not to like here. A great looking little stream. A very colorful brookie and some very nicely tied spiders. I am wondering about the bleached starling though Alan. Do you find them to be any more fragile to work with than the already fragile natural hackle?

Regards, Jerry
Jerry, thanks

Yes the bleached ones are more fragile. It seems like I'll pluck one off and tie it on, while winding it will break. I'll pluck another and it will be fine.

Alan