Black Magic

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
Brk Trt

Black Magic

Post by Brk Trt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:12 pm

DSCN7312.JPG
DSCN7312.JPG (427.65 KiB) Viewed 852 times
DSCN7309.JPG
DSCN7309.JPG (399.41 KiB) Viewed 852 times

Alan

joaniebo

Re: Black Magic

Post by joaniebo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 am

Probably 10+ years ago, a fellow in the UK sent me a pic and info for the "Black Magic" spider he uses in the UK. It looks quite a bit like yours (that's pictured) except under the peacock herl thorax are several wraps of wire to make the fly sink faster. I used this fly a lot and on some days, it is indeed like "magic" when the fish are taking "little black stuff."

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 am

That makes sense to use the wire.
Between the 2 flies I have had much better success with the one without peacock. And that's odd for most of my fishing is on streams where there are only wild brookies, usually not selective.

Alan

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 am

That second shot looks really good to me, Alan. I've had a theory for some time that when it comes to wet flies, "wonky" (for lack of a better word) hackle is better than the umbrella we usually see. It is movement, I think, that makes wets so deadly and I suspect that most drowning or emerging flies do not move their legs in perfect unison.

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 am

tie2fish wrote:That second shot looks really good to me, Alan. I've had a theory for some time that when it comes to wet flies, "wonky" (for lack of a better word) hackle is better than the umbrella we usually see. It is movement, I think, that makes wets so deadly and I suspect that most drowning or emerging flies do not move their legs in perfect unison.
I like the term "wonky"....Flies as any thing else that is fighting for their life will display a lot of flailing.
So it makes sense.

Alan

HookI

Post by HookI » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am

Alan

Steve Culton has a little different approach w/ his Hackle is Starling I think ?

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

HookI wrote:Alan

Steve Culton has a little different approach w/ his Hackle is Starling I think ?
How so?

Alan

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Nice ties Alan. I have to say I was surprised to read that the peacock was not well received by the brookies.

Ya know I suppose most of us try to get that hackle wrapped just so so. As I have said many times, a few fish on that fly and it will never look the same again. The good news is that they will keep right on catching fish.

Regards, Jerry

HookI

Post by HookI » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Brk Trt wrote:
HookI wrote:Alan

How so?

Alan
I see yours has peacock, very different on a spider spider ?

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Jerry G wrote:Nice ties Alan. I have to say I was surprised to read that the peacock was not well received by the brookies.

Ya know I suppose most of us try to get that hackle wrapped just so so. As I have said many times, a few fish on that fly and it will never look the same again. The good news is that they will keep right on catching fish.

Regards, Jerry
Jerry I know it sounds crazy, but they favored the other.
And your so correct when you say the more it's chewed on it continues to produce.

Alan