Frank Sawyer's Nymphs

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
Algyros

Re: Frank Sawyer's Nymphs

Post by Algyros » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:00 pm

I agree with all that's been said.

One thing I would like to add is that today, pheasant tail nymphs are usually tied with thread. Such flies certainly work, but something is lost when Sawyer's wire is replaced by thread. In my opinion, it's not just weight or balance, it's the glitter of the wire that makes the original PT dressing so effective.

Alex

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Alex I agree but think the weight is more pertinent, getting the fly down a few inches in shallow moving water as I like to believe it was designed for.

Too much weight and it's in the vegetation. That's why I HATE bead heads for fishing within the top foot of the water column, whether in a stream or a lake.

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 pm

Algyros wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:00 pm
I agree with all that's been said.

One thing I would like to add is that today, pheasant tail nymphs are usually tied with thread. Such flies certainly work, but something is lost when Sawyer's wire is replaced by thread. In my opinion, it's not just weight or balance, it's the glitter of the wire that makes the original PT dressing so effective.

Alex
Agreed, I love tying and fishing a wire tied p tail nymph. I often fish them straight upstream with no weight but the wire and steel of the hook. Although I do use two bunches of pheasant tail to tie mine - one for the tail and abdomen, and one bunch for the thorax and wingcase. It's a function of the length of the fibers from the tails we get today, and my method/sequence of tying them.

PT Nymph.jpg
PT Nymph.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 113 times

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:29 am
Bob, that is awesome!!

What amazes me is the simplicity of the PT nymph, Killer Bug, etc. that are so effective even today. Yet, so may tiers today go to great lengths to make complex imitations that are not as effective (in my humble opinion) as Sawyer's patterns.
+1, John...
“Time to go fishing”