Chadwicks 477

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
catskilljohn

Re: Chadwicks 477

Post by catskilljohn »

And I thought silver was a good investment :roll: Thanks for that Royce, I love seeing stuff like that! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

fishcane

Post by fishcane »

here is a fascinating thread on this elusive material and a holy grail substitute, Ive tried it and its indeed "all that"
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 73&t=85951

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Whew! That is a good read, once you get through it. I even pm'ed one of the guys offering a sample to see for myself how it compares.

The killer bug is a cool fly...so simple but an interesting story and history that goes with it. Thanks for the link fishcane! CJ

fishcane

Post by fishcane »

no problem, at all, thought some may be interested here. I have a skein of that particular dye lot from Berroco if you didn't get a sample on clarks. drop me a pm

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Here is another detailed comparison of killer bug patterns tied with Chadwick's 477 and several pretenders.

http://www.williamsfavorite.com/killer-bug-gallery.html

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

tie2fish wrote:Here is another detailed comparison of killer bug patterns tied with Chadwick's 477 and several pretenders.

http://www.williamsfavorite.com/killer-bug-gallery.html

That Oyster, when wet looks the most realistic. Did I miss it, or did he not show an actual dry/wet comparison of the actual Chadwicks 477? Just went back...he mentioned it.

Its the red in the wool that does it. That and the wire color. Thanks for that Bill! CJ

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

That certainly was a fascinating read that Fishcane linked. Thank you.

I've been using the Killer Bug for about 3 years, but mostly tyed from the instructions that Chris Stewart has on his Tenkara Bum site. Chris recommends Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift in Sand 183, then color it with a Prisma Marker, which is also in the color "sand". I've tried Oyster color, Sunglow color (which looks more like a decent sub for Tupps dubbing), and the Veniard's Chadwicks substitute. I found the Veniard's to be way too dark, but all of the KB's do catch fish. I'll never spend the bucks on a real card of 477, so this current substitute looks like a must try.

Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

fishcane

Post by fishcane »

I tried both a fine wired copper KB tied with the Berroco and a fine wired red KB with Berroco today on Nine Mile Creek (a spring fortified creek in cry with heavy scud population), despite a fairly consistent BWO hatch that went off for a good portion of the afternoon. There were good numbers of Caddis as well so I figured these would be a close match for them as well as the scud. The fish seemed to like em! My water glass tests beforehand showed a slightly more "pink" hue with the red wired but the fish liked both versions equally. I also have found these flies hold up a little better using a thread underbody beneath the wire or coating the wire with superglue after wire and before wrapping yarn(be sure to let it dry tho!). If you don't the fly will "move" or "spin" on the hook and the yarn loosens up after a while.

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

This is a cool thread!! I've been fascinated with the simplicity and effectiveness of this pattern since I first learned of it. Between this thread and the other threads linked here I don't think a stone has been left unturned on the quest for a suitable Chadwicks 477 replacement.

Very informative!! Thanks all!!

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

Using the Shetland Spindrift Wool yarn (Oyster #290 color), I tied some Killer Bugs last weekend at the "Celebration of Fly Tying" show in Grand Rapids, MI and then dropped them in a glass of water that I had on the table in front of me. Everyone who saw the color change from a tannish / grayish color (when dry) to a reddish brown color (when wet) immediately wrote down the Shetland info..... would expect various yarn shops in Michigan have been getting phone calls this past week.