Prince Nymphs

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
Eperous

Prince Nymphs

Post by Eperous »

Thursday I had just enough time to knock out a dozen weighted Prince Nymphs for the coming season. With a peacock herl body, I think this is a “must have” nymph for freestone trout streams in these Catskills. I tie/fish this pattern in sizes 8 through 12, with sizes 10 and 12 most frequent to reach the end of my leader.

Prince Nymph (w), #12 Mustad 9672:

Prior to tying most flies, I like to double check the recipe. For this fly I referred to my well-worn copy of Eric Leiser’s The Book of Fly Patterns. And interesting enough Leiser provides a recipe using black ostrich, which might be the original version of the fly. In any event, I had a few of these already tied from years past, so I grabbed one from my fly box.

Prince Nymph (w), #10 Mustad 9672:

Since I don’t tie nymphs to match specific “bugs” anymore – with minor exceptions – I like an assortment of weighted, and unweighted, nymphs of different colors and sizes. This particular Prince fits the bill nicely when I need a black nymph, or something that might pass for big, dark stoneflies.

Ed

Richard

Re: Prince Nymphs

Post by Richard »

In 1989 Joe David a High School buddy of Ed's and I made our first trip to Yellowstone National Park and discovered the Prince. We turned Ed and the rest of the Jersey boys onto this fly when we returned. There's not many times I outfished Mr. O in the early spring, but armed with this fly it I did it at least once. On one ocasion he even accepted one of my flies, truley a red letter day for me. I fish in several states and it always seems to produce.

Eperous

Re: Prince Nymphs

Post by Eperous »

Richard wrote:In 1989 Joe David a High School buddy of Ed's and I made our first trip to Yellowstone National Park and discovered the Prince. We turned Ed and the rest of the Jersey boys onto this fly when we returned. There's not many times I outfished Mr. O in the early spring, but armed with this fly it I did it at least once. On one ocasion he even accepted one of my flies, truley a red letter day for me. I fish in several states and it always seems to produce.
OUCH!!! :o My secret is out... :oops: :shock: :? Yes, I've known this guy as "Little Rich" among many other names, most that might cause me to be expelled from this bulletin board... But, Richard did introduce me to the Prince Nymph... and, for every single story he can tell about me, I have ten about him.... :oops: In one of the books I just finished reading I recall a thought along the following lines... "... next to one's wife and family, good fishing buddies are hard to find and real treasures..."

Richard, and the other Jersey boys, all fall into that category... :D

Thanks Bud.... ;)

Ed