Phil Chase’s Catskill Clipper

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
catskilljohn

Re: Phil Chase’s Catskill Clipper

Post by catskilljohn »

luzerne wrote:CJ
Mad Toms, Stone Cats, Clippers all the same bait fish on the Susquehanna for smallmouth.
Thats it Jack, you are a prince! Mad Tom is the word I was looking for. The live ones I have seen in the Delaware were black, I have to think that like many fish they blend in with their streambottom. Here is a picture of one, you can see the resemblance to the Catskill Clipper. Thanks Jack!

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Ron`

Post by Ron` »

It looks like a cross-over too for a swimming Iso in the picture. Knew a guy that fished a similar fly on the beaverkill with great success during iso hatches.
"By the time I had turned 30, I'd realized 2 important things. 1: I had to fish. 2: I had to work for a living." Z. Grey "The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - S. G. Hackle

BobMorrison

Post by BobMorrison »

To Phil Chase:

Hi Phil,
My name is Bob Morrison, Cornell Ag '54. I believe I played football with you on the 1951 Cornell 150-pound team. I remember that you threw a very nice pass. I played only one season, since I developed a bad back from digging ditches for college credit. I sat on the bench with fellow ends Don Marion and Jim Wilson, and saw them at our 2009 55th Reunion. I am a lifelong trout fisherman from Westchester County, New York, and majored in wildlife management at Cornell. After the Army I went into the hospital and laboratory equipment business (much higher salaries), but have done volunteer work for conservation departments in Indiana, New York, New Hampshire, and now Florida. I have been and member of Trout Unlimited since 1980, serving on the boards of Croton Watershed Chapter in New York and Merrimack River Valley Chapter in New Hampshire. My family moved to Tampa Bay in 2011 and dragged me along with them. I am now a member of Suncoast Fly Fishers in St. Petersburg, where I teach fly fishing, fly tying, and write a tips column for our newsletter. We fish the salt water flats together with occasional CROCODILES and BULL SHARKS; no kidding.
I came across your name in the T.U. state newsletter, and was proud to learn of your fine work through FRIENDS OF THE UPPER DELAWARE. I would love to speak with you and review old times, friends, and so on. I am at carnivora1@knology.net and phone 727 735-3209. Call or write me anytime. Your Clipper looks a little like my Tarpon Toad, only smaller. Regards,

Bob Morrison

BobMorrison

Post by BobMorrison »

To Sparse Grey Matter,
have just registered this morning as a new member. While still half asleep, I believe I gave you an incorrect E-mail address. Please change carnivora1@knology.com to carnivora1@knology.net. Password remains the same. Please acknowledge. Thanks.
Bob Morrison

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Acknowledgement noted Bob, thanks for joining! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

BobMorrison wrote:To Sparse Grey Matter,
have just registered this morning as a new member. While still half asleep, I believe I gave you an incorrect E-mail address. Please change carnivora1@knology.com to carnivora1@knology.net. Password remains the same. Please acknowledge. Thanks.
Bob Morrison
Bob... I sent you a PM on Phil...

Ed

Churchill77

Post by Churchill77 »

Phil and I have been friends for almost 50 years. We were introduced by Harry Darbee in 1964 and have hunted and fished together ever since. His original Catskill Clipper was often tied with black woodchuck that he got from the occasional melanistic woodchuck roadkill he came across. I took a 20 inch brown on the CC in the main Delaware just below Kellam's while fishing with Phil and the fly has also produced some good fish from the Neversink and the Mongaup. I can tell you that it also works well on the Madison in Montana.
To the chap by the name of Morrison who thinks he played football with Phil on the 150 pound squad at Cornell, Phil IS your guy. Phil was the QB and was in the AG school. He loved his years at Cornell and told funny story, after funny story, about his exploits on the football field. He lives in Port Jervis. His wife Merle, whom he met at Cornell, is deceased and Phil lives with his daughter Carol.
Phil is a wonderful fly tyer and developed, amongst several others, what he calls The 100 Year Fly based on Herman Christians' version of the early flies he tied for people. Phil knew Herman and when he asked Herman why he was tying the wings on his dry flies straight-up, Herman replied, "because that's the way my customers want them!" Herman's earliest flies had the wings tied down, mayfly-like, and they worked like magic. Of course, in those days the trout weren't nearly as sophisticated as they are today but Phil's 100 Year Fly still works well on some of the Catskill's most wary trout. He has been my guest at The Fly casters of Boston several times and tied with an informal gang of my pals called The Top Tyers in Ipswich, Mass. My friends here in New England love him and especially loved his many stories about fishing with some of the legends of Catskill fly fishing - Harry Darbee, Herman Christian, Art Flick, Ed Van Putt and others.
He and I have fished the Neversink from top-to-bottom - from the Big Bend water to the deep runs just above its' mouth at Port Jervis. Ben Wecshler's Gorge water with it's long, deep pools was our favorite place in the Catskills. I once hooked a fish just above High Falls and the fish simply swam downriver, took out perhaps 50 or 75 yards of backing, got to the end and broke me off. Anyone familiar with the Neversionk knows it ranks very high on the Scofield Scale insofar as wading is concerned.
Phil is 4 or 5 years older than me and I am 77 now. The last few years we have stayed in Ben's delightfull little camp above High Falls and cooked our ritual Porterhouse steaks - huge one's from a butcher in Milford, PA. What great times we have had on that grand Catskill River and fishing together from east to west. We sampled the smallmouth fishing on the Penobscot River in my back yard in Maine, the Connecticut in NH, the Lamoille in VT and floated the great rivers in the west - the Madison, Big Hole, Beaverhead and others.
Phil is a kind old soul who has slowed down recently due to poor health.
Tight Lines to you all.
Skip Rood

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

okay...so is this and ed's leech NYMPHS OR STREAMERS?

if it looks like it, and smells like it it must be it.

what do you say?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote:okay...so is this and ed's leech NYMPHS OR STREAMERS?

if it looks like it, and smells like it it must be it.

what do you say?
Easy... I'll answer that... Chase's Clipper is a NYMPH... and he/his friends fished it accordingly... I still recall an afternoon I took Phil down to the Chimney Hole on the Esopus Creek and watched him catch rainbow, after rainbow "nymphing", with his Clipper... the pattern is posted in this SGM category correctly...

My Black Leech is a STREAMER... a mini-streamer that I tie on a NYMPH HOOK, something I ended up doing when I was an active guide simply because a number of my clients could not cast larger, weighted streamers/buggers... and posted in that SGM category correctly...

But now here's the question perhaps you should have asked... is the little #8 black Conehead Woolly Bugger I fish a nymph or streamer... :? It also is tied on a nymph hook... :|

Some days I fish it like a streamer... and some days, like yesterday, I fish dead drift upstream of my like a nymph... and then to complicate matters, some days I swing it below me and fish it like a wet fly... :o :shock: :? :? :?

You know what, it doesn't matter at all to me, as long as the trout EAT IT!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

ed,
if you fish something like a nymph it doesn't have to be a nymph...wet flies,bucktails, streamers and dry flies with a split shot nearby can be fished like we normally call nymphing (and don't get me started with (czcech style nymphing!!!!!)... at least in my infertile mind.

if you take a dry fly and clip the wings and hackles and make a streamside "nymph" is it still a dry ? back when i was a kid, my old man fished streamers and what he called "nymphs", (frequently at the same time) which were nothing more than down wing wet flies without tails/beards.

just trying to get more info about catskill streamers. The clipper looks to me like a streamer and so does your leech...no matter how small or big, no matter have heavily weighted...