Phil Chase’s Catskill Clipper

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
BrownBear

Re: Phil Chase’s Catskill Clipper

Post by BrownBear »

I think you're onto it. I always thought of Woolly Buggers as "nymphs" since I always fished them on the dead drift. Then 30 years ago I went to Montana where they were fished more like streamers- cast to shore from drift boats and stripped back. And yup, they called them streamers. Sure doesn't look like either a nymph or a streamer to me, but the method supplies the name.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote: ... The clipper looks to me like a streamer and so does your leech...no matter how small or big, no matter have heavily weighted...
Okay, I took the bait... :) and referred to Joe Bates, Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing... Bates says, and I quote, streamers/bucktails are flies "... having the shape and action which are intended to represent a baitfish." (1966, p. 31)

Fast forward to Kelly Galloup and Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout, a great read for serious streamer flyfishers, and he writes in the first sentence of the book, "Streamers are simply flies that mimic baitfish."

Based upon those two definitions, then neither Phil's Clipper, nor my Leech, qualify... :shock: :?

Ted, you ruined my day... :cry:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

sorry ed....i'll buy coffee next time we shoot the sh%$
danbury?

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns »

There's a neat little book entitled "The Legendary Neversink" edited by Justin Askins. I'm sure many, if not most of the selections will be familiar to the avid Catskillcentric fly fishing reader, all the usual suspects: Gordon, Wright,Bergman, McClain et al...Also an interesting selection from Phil Chase entitled "The Hundred Year Fly" as well as a short selection from the Sunday Record from 1976. If anyone's interested it's available here http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Neversi ... tin+Askins
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

The Novice Returns wrote:There's a neat little book entitled "The Legendary Neversink" edited by Justin Askins. I'm sure many, if not most of the selections will be familiar to the avid Catskillcentric fly fishing reader, all the usual suspects: Gordon, Wright,Bergman, McClain et al...Also an interesting selection from Phil Chase entitled "The Hundred Year Fly" as well as a short selection from the Sunday Record from 1976. If anyone's interested it's available here http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Neversi ... tin+Askins
Thanks Novice... if one loves the Neversink, this is a nice book for sure... I purchased a copy, then Phil Chase sent me one he autographed/dated 4/14/08--- with an Isonychia Emerger he tied taped into the book... oddly enough, I believe he conceived that Iso Emerger the day he fished Chimney Hole on the Esopus with he, years ago, while catching wild rainbows on his Catskill Clipper... as Skip Rood noted above, Phil's 100-Year Fly is noteworthy....

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

That book also mentions the Cinberg! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

As other folks have mentioned here, Phil is among the most kindhearted souls I've ever met. He is and has always been a die-hard, grass-roots conservationist who fought many environmental battles and helped win some big ones against overwhelming odds.

There's no question that without tireless work by folks like Phil, our tailwaters would be rock gardens.

Beyond all that, Phil is a fountainhead of wisdom about the Neversink, mainstem Delaware and many of our other Catskill waters. These streams really run through his veins.

I treasure all of our correspondence over the years. His tales never failed to elicit laughter and in some cases tears about his decades spent fishing, exploring -- and defending -- his beloved Neversink.

He is an wonderfully creative tyer.

One of his concoctions -- called 'The Know Fly' -- is about as simple a creation as you can imagine and has proven deadly on selective browns feeding in the film.

'The Know Fly knows!' Phil would always proclaim upon hooking a fish that had refused a dozen of my flies.

When I have a moment I will post one of his other flies and give a little background on it.

Here's Phil on the Neversink a few years back with a nice wild brown:

Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

For an update on the Catskill Clipper, a bit of history about ardent river conservationist Phil Chase, and other topics Catskill related, check out the latest issue of the Gazette, the newsletter of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild... our hard-working editor Bud Bynack got the February 2014 issue out today!

Catskill Clipper, a Phil Chase trout-catching pattern:
Catskill Clipper (w), #8 TMC 200R-2.jpg
Catskill Clipper (w), #8 TMC 200R-2.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Ed

Bud

Post by Bud »

Ed--

Make that "finally" got the issue out today.

And BTW, Judie points out to me that this year's Anglers Reunion Dinner will not be held last year, in 2013, but actually in 2014, contrary to what the newsletter says. :oops:

Classic proofing goof--skipping the display type--and a classic computer-assisted screw-up: cutting and pasting. :twisted:

In the immortal words of Homer, "D'oh!" :roll:

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)