Simple Brassie

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
Fontinalis

Simple Brassie

Post by Fontinalis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Here is a fly called the Brassie. There are a few ways to tye this fly, but I prefer the one pictured.

Brassie:

Hook: Mustad 9671 size 14
Thread: Danville Black 6/0
Body: Lagartun Fine Copper Wire
Thorax: One strand of peackock herl from the eye

Before tying in the Peacock herl, add a small coat of head cement in this case hard as hull and wrap the herl forward with the stem side of the herl facing the eye. The head cement enforces the herl and cuts down on the uses of excess material.

catskilljohn

Re: Simple Brassie

Post by catskilljohn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 pm

Nice Andy! My pal Ron Cover loves this fly for those finicky upper Willow trout ;) Good stuff man, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Frequenttyer

Post by Frequenttyer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 am

That is pretty! It is so nice to see peacock herl this way. You just can't get that effect with the strung herl no matter how much you use.
Mike.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 am

The Brassie is featured in the new Stackpole book, that will be released this summer, along with a photo of the fly and description concerning the tier who embraced it. It's still a highly popular pattern, and fished routinely on many trout waters.

That copper-body "nymph" goes back over 30-35 years----Tiers used discarded lamp cord wire for the smaller sizes (remember crawling around the attic for the stuff---an old lamp. Ha! Put it to better use! Who will ever notice it missing.) Or, a trip to Radio Shack back then---to get the copper.

-Muskrat was used for the small anterior collar, with lots of little guard hairs projecting.

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 am

mikevalla wrote: ... Muskrat was used for the small anterior collar, with lots of little guard hairs projecting. ...
That's how I tie mine, using muskrat as a thorax... but I only tie size 18-20's, and fish them as a dropper off a dry fly on Catskill tailwaters, a trick a Catskill FF guide showed me...

Nice nymph...

Ed

Fontinalis

Post by Fontinalis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

mikevalla wrote:The Brassie is featured in the new Stackpole book, that will be released this summer, along with a photo of the fly and description concerning the tier who embraced it. It's still a highly popular pattern, and fished routinely on many trout waters.

That copper-body "nymph" goes back over 30-35 years----Tiers used discarded lamp cord wire for the smaller sizes (remember crawling around the attic for the stuff---an old lamp. Ha! Put it to better use! Who will ever notice it missing.) Or, a trip to Radio Shack back then---to get the copper.

-Muskrat was used for the small anterior collar, with lots of little guard hairs projecting.

-MV
Hi Mike:

I started working for Bell Labs back in 1983. When I started fly tying, My friends in Western Electric (WECO) would get the wire for me to use from the left over DSO and DS1 wiring from the punch down blocks. One of my very first nymphs tyed was a brassie. At the time I did not know it but Dick Tauller who I looked up to as a new tyer back then also worked for Bell Labs. Kind of feel "May the circle be unbroken" type of feeling. The telephone wire was great for brassie in size 14 and 16 as well.

shakey

Post by shakey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:37 pm

i often tye brassies with red radio shack magnet wire and a white thread head,on a mustad 37160(i know,i know) a la the feathercraft catalog,but they actually catch fish!

anyhow,very nice fly in the original post!

Normand E Frechette

Post by Normand E Frechette » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 am

The original brassies shown in Ed Engels book small flies has it shown with shrink tube for the head area and were sold in clear pill capsules

Many versions of this simple fly has come out since the 60s