Pink Squirrel

Some call them Bottom Dredgers. They are too often over shadowed by the dry fly, but have their place here.
Eperous

Re: Pink Squirrel

Post by Eperous »

Joaniebo, thanks for the post, info, and background... And, WELCOME to SGM! :)

On this bulletin board I'm the guy who posed the question at the top of this thread about Pink Squirrels... thanks to my buddy, Barleywine... I've come to tie my Pink Squirrels this way on a #14 hook:
Pink Squirrel, #14 TMC 3761.JPG
Pink Squirrel, #14 TMC 3761.JPG (304.64 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
And while I've only fished this pattern since the Wednesday before Thanksgiving 2015, I have caught small wild rainbows on that Pink Squirrel every month from November, December, January, February, and March 1st this past Tuesday... it's been highly effective winter pattern for me on a short line, leader only, dead-drift, slow and deep...

Here's one of those bows that ate my Pink Squirrel:
Pink Squirrel bow.JPG
Pink Squirrel bow.JPG (629.95 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Thanks again for the info... :)

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Man, I am a little embarrassed! I am posting these as originals and they are yours :oops:

Thanks for clearing that up, thanks for your detailed history and sorry to spread false info, though yours were so pretty I was proud to display them!

Glad to have you on board, and thanks for the offer, when I found the 3 pictured above I also found a bag of PSN's you had sent me before in trade for some Ligas dubbing! So I am good for awhile :lol: CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

HookI

Post by HookI »

so much for matching the Hatch . I Love It ! Its one color every fish in any water will love to chomp on . thanks for sharing
If it has fins I want to catch it .

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Living for many, many years in Cheeseland I have never fished or tied a pink squirrel, yet everyone in the Driftless raves about it.
Last edited by wiFlyFisher on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

CJ - I'm honored that you thought my Pink Squirrels were the originals as tied by its inventor! By the way, I found out that the gray colored Ligas dubbing you sent me was made from some shredded pieces of an "Aunt Lydia's Sparkle Yarn". I cut the ALSY into small pieces and mixed them in my coffee grinder and ....voila,,,,, the exact same Ligas dubbing!

Ed - Rec'd your e-mail and info....will be tying more of the pink collared nymphs later this week and will send a few to you to try in your local waters.

Bob

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

HookI wrote:so much for matching the Hatch . ...
Matching the hatch... :roll: Just finding open water to fish in January and February is a feat in itself... :P
W1-plung pool-honey hole.JPG
W1-plung pool-honey hole.JPG (234.21 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
This brook below is open water... 8-)
W2-open water.JPG
W2-open water.JPG (300.88 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
And we didn't even talk about this issue... :cry:
W3-ice in the guides.JPG
W3-ice in the guides.JPG (78.86 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
I might see a midge or two, maybe an early black stonefly, and every now n again a tiny BWO that's lost its way... but hatch, I have a much better chance of winning a lottery...

That's what makes the Pink Squirrel so darn good, it produces trout under conditions like these... :D

Ed

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

As an update, John Bethke has added a fourth material to his Pink Squirrel dubbing (I've been sworn to secrecy), so I recently tied a few dozen Pink Squirrel nymphs for next season. I also tie several "Pink Collared Variations' where I sub natural, dark and olive Hare's Ear fur; black squirrel and black beaver fur - for the fox squirrel fur, then mix the other "three materials" with the furs to utlimately tie six "Pink Collared Nymphs." All of the other materials (black thread, red wire, Rainbow Krystal flash tails and Fl. Shrimp Pink Chenille) are used on all six nymphs.
Attachments
Pink Collared Nymphs - 02.JPG
Pink Collared Nymphs - 02.JPG (324.61 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

Tomorrow, I leave Flatlandia (Illinois) for my first trip to Cheese Country (Wisconsin) with a fly box pretty full of Pink Collared nymphs tied over the past several months........plus another full box of various flies with peacock bodies and various hackles for field testing. Weather forecast is for rain virtually every day, so it looks like every fly I tie on will become a "wet fly" sooner or later this week.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

joaniebo wrote:Tomorrow, I leave Flatlandia (Illinois) for my first trip to Cheese Country (Wisconsin) with a fly box pretty full of Pink Collared nymphs tied over the past several months........plus another full box of various flies with peacock bodies and various hackles for field testing. Weather forecast is for rain virtually every day, so it looks like every fly I tie on will become a "wet fly" sooner or later this week.
Good luck! ;)

Ed

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

I tied a few morer Pink Squirrels for the upcoming season plus LOTS of palmers.
Attachments
IMG_5656.jpg
IMG_5656.jpg (406.18 KiB) Viewed 827 times