Bumblepuppy

catskilljohn

Bumblepuppy

Post by catskilljohn »

This ones for you Ed...

I read somewhere the meaning of the word bumblepuppy means "without rules". I am sure Theordore Gordon knew the meaning when he conceived and named this fly, because he changed it from the day he tyed it, and his predecessors did the same. Its hard to pin down the real Bumblepuppy, although I feel like they are all real, just changing to suit conditions or the tyers mood.

In Bates's book, Fishing Atlantic Salmon, the Flies and their Patterns there is a photo from the authors fly collection of a Bumblepuppy tyed by T.Gordon himself. This is the dressing I have always preferred, and its close to the one pictured in "Quill Gordon" by John McDonald. Its is absent a tail, but for the most part nearly identical to the one in Q.G.

Gordon used this fly for everything, Pike, Bass, night fishing for trout, even in saltwater. After Gordon died, Herman Christian modified it again, stating his is the more killing dressing, and he went on to kill many trout with his version.

In Larry Kohlers book "Taking Larger Trout" there is another version that he describes as a night fishing fly. It too is close to the others, but has a herl butt and head. Here is his version that I tyed as it appears in the book...
Image Its the one I was fishing this past weekend, on a #2 Mustad limerick 3X.

This is the dressing from Bates book as I interpreted it, as the book doesn't give a dressing...
tip-silver tinsel
tag-red floss
butt-yellow chenille
body-white chenille ribbed w/silver tinsel
hackle-badger tyed doubled and heavy
underwing-polar bear or bucktail
overwing-white swan or goose
collar-teal or widgeon in front of wing
cheeks-JC

The dressing Herman Christian used is as follows...
head-black
tail-small bunch of red hackle fibers, rather heavy
body-white wool or chenille, rather heavy
ribbing-red wool
throat-2 turns of red and white hackle mixed to make a long but sparse collar
wing-white bucktail with the lower half clipped short and the top half extending slightly beyond tail. over bucktail 2 long matched brown turkey tail feather sections extending to beginning of tail.

Here is one on an old E Hille 1/0 5X long.

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

upstatetrout

Re: Bumblepuppy

Post by upstatetrout »

and other variations

Eperous

Thanks

Post by Eperous »

Thanks ever so much John... I was hoping, figured you would post something about this, and was anxious to check this morning... I really like the look of the one you used, that was wet, and matted down... just looked like a "killing fly".... I'm going to tie a few of these myself...

Thanks again...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Gordon suggested they be tyed so the JC eyes "played" in the water, pulsing away from the body and then against it when retrieved. These do look great wet, and slim right down in a most tasty fashion in the water ;) CJ

streamertyer

Post by streamertyer »

Great stuff guys. These are as good as I've seen.

Somewhere filed (I use that term very loosely) I thought I had some info on the Bumblepuppy as told by Gordon - which I assume is the same as the one given by Christian (non-modified)....

Want another odd looking (similar) streamer to tie? Look up the Art Neu.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Chris, I found some quotes and experiences on the Bumblepuppy...

Gordons dressing...
Tag-Silver and red silk. Tail-Scarlet ibis, two mated feathers back to back and quite straight on hook. Butt-Red or yellow chenille; have tried black ostrich. Body-White silk chenille, ribbed flat silver tinsel [must be bright], body full, not thin. Hackle-badger, large, long and lots of it. Wings-Double or single, according to size of hook; strips of white swan or goose, over white hair from deer, white bear, or goat. Sides-Jungle fowl, low. Shoulder hackle-Over wing, a good widgeon feather as long as or longer then the badger. Head-Red or yellow chenille, or black, plain varnished.

From T. Gordon...
"The "Bumble Puppy" is great medicine-there is no doubt of that, after years of trial. Attach a well-made specimen to the end of your cast and play it in clear water. You will see at once that it is very much alive and shows up wonderfully. If jungle-fowl feathers are put on they should open and shut with each movement of the fly"

"My extraordinary Bumble-puppy fly kills because its wonderfully alive."

"I must manage to send you a couple of Bumblepuppies for big trout on the larger class of streams. At times they are very deadly, particularly on the Esopus and lower Beaverkill."

"I have taken 2 bass, bream, rock fish, perch, sunfish, pickerel, etc., on BP's, not to mention big trout in the Esopus. Good when they are feeding on minnows."

"The Bumblepuppy is very good, dressed quite large"

From Mahlon Davidson...
"We used another fly of Mr. Gordon's called BumblePuppy, without exception the greatest lure for taking lake trout ever used after they reached the 2 1/2 pound mark."

****taken from The Complete Fly Fisherman- the notes and letters of Theodore Gordon****

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

catskilljohn wrote: ****taken from The Complete Fly Fisherman- the notes and letters of Theodore Gordon****
Great read... I've read that book almost a half dozen times myself... ;)

troutbum40

Post by troutbum40 »

Just purchased the book myself , great insight on Mr Gordon! Nice to see he fished the PA streams alot as well as the Catskills {I'm a native of PA}! ;) He fished one of my favorite streams,that being Young Womans Cr. Next time I fish the stream I will think of him casting a fly there!

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

A good while back Phil Chase emailed me a photo of the last Bumblepuppy tied by Herman Christian, including note from Christian from 1969, a few years before he passed away:

'I took the red stripe off it that Mr.. Gordon had tied it with -- it wasn't no good to catch fish with.'

Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Eperous

A real treasure

Post by Eperous »

Bamboo&Brookies wrote:A good while back Phil Chase emailed me a photo of the last Bumblepuppy tied by Herman Christian, including note from Christian from 1969, a few years before he passed away:

'I took the red stripe off it that Mr.. Gordon had tied it with -- it wasn't no good to catch fish with.'

WOW, Rob - a real Catskill treasure... thanks ever so much for sharing... :D

Ed