Bumblepuppy

Eperous

Re: Bumblepuppy

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote: ... do you know any from the likes of ray smith, emil grim, wild al..etc...anyof them come uo with their own catskill streamer/bucktail?
anyone else for the matter? yo
Ted, I don't believe Emil Grimm was much of a Catskill fly tyer/fisher at all... I think he maybe tied - might have worked for Orvis - for a few years... had roots in Arizona, I believe ran his shop in Phoenicia for less than 10 years before picking up and moving to the Indian Lake region of the Adirondacks where he passed away... I'll double check on this, but you might want to look through Preston Jennings A Book of Trout Flies.... Jennings has a chapter devoted to this stuff.... and from my end of the Catskills, don't forget the Esopus Bucktail, Phoenicia Bucktail, and Brown & White Bucktail... Ed Van Put mentions these in his book, Trout Fishing in the Catskills... from what I recall, I think you have at least two of these?

Ed

PS - Not sure Ray Smith had any streamer/bucktails, but less than 50% sure on that one. Al Carpenter, Sr. had a few dry flies and wets he claimed as his, I have a few - but bucktails??? Ask Dave Brandt.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

ed...i have all of those you mentioned and about 100 others....many are the same things some without ribbing, some higher angled wings etc...jc, painted eyes

bates writes about the "bi-bucks" ..."a more popular version than the esopus bucktails...." i have 4 "catskill" variations and lots more will put the list in after iget them arranged better...so many questions..

here's one...when does a wet fly turn into a small streamer?

do you include william mills flies as catskill flies? the mills #1 wet fly was tyed for the neversink according to smedley...so are there any streamers in the mills books made specifically or originated in the catskills? harry tied the horrible matuka as a salmon fly but had to have tested it behind the house at hazel...is that a catskill fly?

god, i love this stuff..

yo

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote:ed...i have all of those you mentioned and about 100 others....many are the same things some without ribbing, some higher angled wings etc...jc, painted eyes

bates writes about the "bi-bucks" ..."a more popular version than the esopus bucktails...." i have 4 "catskill" variations and lots more will put the list in after iget them arranged better...so many questions..

here's one...when does a wet fly turn into a small streamer?

do you include william mills flies as catskill flies? the mills #1 wet fly was tyed for the neversink according to smedley...so are there any streamers in the mills books made specifically or originated in the catskills? harry tied the horrible matuka as a salmon fly but had to have tested it behind the house at hazel...is that a catskill fly?

god, i love this stuff..

yo
Ted, somehow I think we have taken this thread in a whole new direction, so let me try responding to your question on YOUR THREAD about this topic... ;)

Yo, yo - stay tuned... and I am giving serious thought to a Garden State fishing license for 2011... :o :shock:

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

ted patlen wrote: here's one...when does a wet fly turn into a small streamer?
yo

After 2X long :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

dennis

Post by dennis »

Clever answer CJ. ;) Dennis

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Let me know when you guys are getting tired of looking at these :lol:

Another version, this one would push water...

CJ

dave dee

Post by dave dee »

catskilljohn as allways top notch i am going to tie some myself when i get ahold of some jc. what size; style and brand of hook for this fly .let me ask what is your favorite version . thank you and happy holidays to all

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

dave,

it would be better if you tyed and fished YOUR favorite version...they would all work...

as mentioned there is no set recipe...some are slim and sparse and bright; others are heavy bodied with darker colorations and a few are heavily hackled and as you suggest, will push more water....so one can deduct that they were used for fishing different rivers/streams/lakes...fresh or salt..... for different species or higher stages of water AS WELL AS FOR FISHING AT NIGHT!
so that simple recipe , changed a bit will cover all of the streamer needs of the angler back then...

yo

dave dee

Post by dave dee »

hello ted thank you for your reply i would have to say i perfer the gordon version.i think it is interasting how herman christian and roy steenrods pattern are close together but quite diffrent than gordons;i know i am probably spilting hairs here and just my humble opinion i have allways got a kick out of catching a fish on a old sometimes forgotten fly

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Dave,

Ted's right, they all work! I had good luck with the first one pictured on page 1, the one with the ostrich herl head, but have caught fish on almost every variation. Try them anyway you want as Gordon did the same. Check your pm's, CJ