Blacknose Dace

wiFlyFisher

Blacknose Dace

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Last night tying one of my favorite streamer patterns, the Blacknose Dace. I remember reading somewhere it was originally created by Art Flick and after Eric confirmed it too me I found some information about the original pattern in the book Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing by Joseph Bates (p. 231):
A small bunch of white polar bear hair or bucktail, over which is a small bunch of black bear hair or black hair from a skunk’s tail, over which is a small bunch of brown bucktail. The black hair is a little shorter than the brown and white. Care should be taken to use small bunches of hair so that the fly will not be overdressed.
So did Art Flick use jungle cock nails for eyes? The picture of the Blacknose Dace in the color plate in the Bates' book does not have any eyes, yet so many of the other patterns do in the book.

Here is my blog post: http://flypatternsfortrout.com/2013/02/ ... y-pattern/

Eperous

Re: Blacknose Dace

Post by Eperous »

Hi John... your version of Flick's BDN is a tad fancy... no painted eyes, no JC, no throat, and a red yarn tag, not pink... heading out the door now for my wife's B-day, but I could post Flick's BND pattern from his Streamside Guide later if you want...

Ed

PS - flat silver tinsel also...

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Wife's on phone with grandson wishing her Happy Birthday..

Here ya go...

A Flick BND on #10 Mustad 9575....
Bt- Black Nose Dace, #10 Mustad 9575.jpg
Bt- Black Nose Dace, #10 Mustad 9575.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Ed

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Ed, thanks!

I tie it that way as well...

But I tend to lean more towards fancy lately. :D

redietz

Post by redietz »

If you look at the actual minnow (black nosed dace) the eyes are not prominent. What hit you immediately is the black stripe that goes all the way to the tip of the nose (hence the name) and Flick's imitation captures this perfectly. (The stripe goes right through the eye, obscuring it somewhat).

There's a picture of the minnow on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacknose_dace. It's a common and widespread baitfish.

I've had pretty good success with the fly.
Bob

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

They all look nice...unsure if the eyes are important or not, but I like to paint them on, too, John.
I have never tied this bucktail with JC eyes. I prefer fabric paint, such as Tulip, covered with a final coat of clear Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails (or whatever the new stuff is they are selling).
I have some very fine bucktail from whitetail deer that I killed while I was stationed in South Carolina. It is very fine, and has much more movement, and less bulk than our big western NY deer. Art Flick mentions "Chinese" deer tails in his Streamside Guide. These tie up some very nice smaller Black Nosed Dace for brookie fishing.
I have also used polar bear and skunk for this pattern, and although they all tie up patterns with some unique characteristics, I couldn't say if a fly tied with one material was any better than another.
Very interesting thoughts.

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

Art Flick did not tie in a JC eye or paint an eye. The instruction to make the band of black hair just a bit shorter than the brown and white bands is the way Flick tied it. Recommended hook sizes were 4, 6, 8 and 10. The photo in the 1947 and 1948 editions of the Streamside Guide shows a wing extending almost 2X the shank length. The photographed fly is wet, with the wing slicked down, and you can see just a little lens-shaped streak of black separating the white and brown bands. Flick used it on a #4 hook for early season fishing, but especially liked the #10 size at normal water heights, and recommended in lower-than-normal water conditions to fish the fly by casting upstream into pocket water.
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

quashnet wrote:Art Flick did not tie in a JC eye or paint an eye. The instruction to make the band of black hair just a bit shorter than the brown and white bands is the way Flick tied it. Recommended hook sizes were 4, 6, 8 and 10. The photo in the 1947 and 1948 editions of the Streamside Guide shows a wing extending almost 2X the shank length. The photographed fly is wet, with the wing slicked down, and you can see just a little lens-shaped streak of black separating the white and brown bands. Flick used it on a #4 hook for early season fishing, but especially liked the #10 size at normal water heights, and recommended in lower-than-normal water conditions to fish the fly by casting upstream into pocket water.
My copy of Art's Streamside Guide was printed in 1972, which is probably when I bought it. Art describes the Black-nosed Dace in his chapter on Bucktails but there is no photo of his pattern.

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

On the web, two examples of the Blacknose Dace tied by Flick may be viewed at Allan Liu's sportingspirit.com site; look under "F" for Flick. There's a Stone Fly Creeper there, too.

Another example tied by Flick may be seen here:

http://www.caddischronicles.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

It's the first photo in the Thursday, Dec. 4, 2008 essay:

Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

Something that is very lost to modern streamers are the big head like the Flick example that was posted. Flick heads were a little large for my taste but Catskill Streamers did tend to have much larger heads in the past. My grandmother has told me the few times she has ever used a bobbin were when tying streamers so she could quickly build up the heads. Since this was not something they needed to do, I wonder what the overall reasoning behind them was.