Blacknose Dace

Eperous

Re: Blacknose Dace

Post by Eperous »

gadabout wrote:My streamer heads tend to come out that big, whether I want them to or not, LOL.
Gadabout, a man after my own heart... ;) in these mountains we call them "fishin' flies" :o , and the trout don't seem to mind that much... :D

Ed

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Eperous wrote:
gadabout wrote:My streamer heads tend to come out that big, whether I want them to or not, LOL.
Gadabout, a man after my own heart... ;) in these mountains we call them "fishin' flies" :o , and the trout don't seem to mind that much... :D

Ed
Ed, I agree... the only critics that really matter are the trout! I remember when I started tying about 50 years ago, the flies looked awful but the trout still ate them. That is where the rubber meets the road in fly fishing. :lol:

Squaretail

Post by Squaretail »

I don't know anyone else's reasoning on building larger heads but I intentionally do it to patterns I am going to paint eyes on as I want a more prominent eye. I can say I feel it helps push water ala a Muddler Minnows head and helps a fish hone in on it. The older tying threads/silks where larger in diameter in general and I'm sure that contributed to it in part.
"A man may go fishing his entire life without realizing it is not necessarily the fish that he is after" - Thoreau

Allan

Post by Allan »

Ted,

I am curious if you or anyone has a photo or illustration of the Black Nosed Dace in Flick's Streamside Guide or New Streamside Guide? I have 2 editions and I do not have that fly photo'd or illustrated. I see that you posted a photo of a BND tyed by Flick. But I don't think that is the norm. Therefore, I'm trying to find a source where Flick specifically states, not just the sizes of hooks, but that he used short shank hooks, or the hook he prefered.

Allan

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

allan, i don't have that fly nor have i ever seen it, but tyers change their dressing after a time, i guess no one is happy with a final loook...there is always tweeking because...bored with the same old stuff, new materials thought to be better..etc

bob popovics has done that with the surf candy i like to think of it as evolution :D

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

Flick was one of my early heroes when it came to fly tying. The wind got knocked out of me the first time I saw one of his Daces. Most I have seen that claim to be tied by him have wet fly like hooks and ungodly big heads. I think I saw one on a streamer hook, but it was tied for a shadowbox so maybe that effected his hook choice.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Squaretail wrote:I don't know anyone else's reasoning on building larger heads but I intentionally do it to patterns I am going to paint eyes on as I want a more prominent eye. I can say I feel it helps push water ala a Muddler Minnows head and helps a fish hone in on it. The older tying threads/silks where larger in diameter in general and I'm sure that contributed to it in part.
Ya, I can't imagine tying a big head on a streamer unless you were looking to paint eyes on the fly, or you used too much bucktail.

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

One would have to believe there was good reason for using the shorter hook and well oversized head. Has anyone given thought to how this fly might fish? I'm guessing the over sized head when given slack would dart to the bottom. Especially so when one considers the shorter hook would perhaps have little effect to balance out the rear of the fly. Do dace feed in this manner? Just offering some food for thought here.

Regards, Jerry

Jay Wirth

Post by Jay Wirth »

I see this is an old thread but am very interested in discussion on materials we find that were used on original or early versions of flies.

When looking at these older examples I always wonder if, in this case, streamers tied on short shank hooks were tied that way because it was the hook most available to the tier at that time. The same could be said for the thread, perhaps the head size is due to the use of sewing thread -vs- modern threads. I suspect that the time period would also influence other materials as well - keep in mind many of our favorite flies are from a early century and depression eras. I have always been fascinated when looking at flies from our forefathers which are often found to be tied quite crudely when compared to todays standards.

What were Flick's true intention? We can only speculate and interpret based on our experiences and skill at the vise - and then, only offer our best guess.
“Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.”

Arlo Guthrie