Oatman's "Shushan Postmaster"

David S.

Oatman's "Shushan Postmaster"

Post by David S. »

I've been doing some reading in Mike Valla's new book and thought I'd stock up on some streamers for next summer :-) I don't fish streamers that much, probably that's why I don't catch those monster trout ;) With all those nice classic streamer-patterns in that book perhaps it's time to give them a go.. //David S.
Shushan Postmaster#2 800p.JPG
Shushan Postmaster#2 800p.JPG (413.62 KiB) Viewed 2437 times

BrownBear

Re: Oatman's "Shushan Postmaster"

Post by BrownBear »

Beautiful tie!

Interesting enough, back in the 1970's this was a favorite summer/fall steelhead pattern on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers in northern California. I suspect it had a lot to do with the predominance of both species of golden stoneflies, especially the Trinity. A notable variation with a brown throat rather than red and no eye tends to confirm that.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Nicely done... :D

I tie/keep a couple of these myself for the few times I fish the Battenkill every few years... it's about history and paying homage to those before us...

Ed

David S.

Post by David S. »

BrownBear wrote:Beautiful tie!

Interesting enough, back in the 1970's this was a favorite summer/fall steelhead pattern on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers in northern California. I suspect it had a lot to do with the predominance of both species of golden stoneflies, especially the Trinity. A notable variation with a brown throat rather than red and no eye tends to confirm that.
Thanks BrownBear :-) I guess this pattern could be taken for a golden stonefly, especially if fished free-drift. Only the fish knows what they see in a fly and they are not telling ;)
//David S.

David S.

Post by David S. »

Eperous wrote:Nicely done... :D

I tie/keep a couple of these myself for the few times I fish the Battenkill every few years... it's about history and paying homage to those before us...

Ed
Thanks Ed, nothing beats fishing a piece of history, especially one you've tied yourself :) //David S.

David Roberts

Post by David Roberts »

Question; was this fly ever done as a feather wing? I is such a striking fly, and I got a little more excited about it when Brown Bear said it was a poplar Klamath, and Trinity rivers. Both in my back door. Next question is to Brown Bear. Are you from this area.
David
aka Bamboo Addict

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

David Roberts wrote:Next question is to Brown Bear. Are you from this area.
Once upon a time. I did my graduate research (fisheries) on those rivers back in the 1970's. Infrequent visitor these days, but still emotionally attached. :D

As for feather wings, I tried some using badger hackles, but they were nowhere near so good as hair. "Grease line" the hair version over steelhead in the fall, and hang onto your hat. Klamath half pounders just could not leave it alone in #6 and #8.

Edit- Failed to point out that the "steelhead" version we used didn't bother with the JC eye. Art Dedini from Ferndale originally turned me onto it. In days of yore it was his favorite pattern for half pounders on the upper Eel.

BTW- Lloyd Silvius HATED it, claiming all you needed was the Brindle Bug he originated. I'd always get a lecture from him if I mentioned using a Postmaster, and worse yet if I mentioned Art's name. A wee bit of rivalry there. I'll grant that Lloyd's version of the Brindle Bug was good or better down near bottom, but the Postmaster ruled up near the surface.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

BrownBear wrote:
David Roberts wrote:Next question is to Brown Bear. Are you from this area.
Once upon a time. I did my graduate research (fisheries) on those rivers back in the 1970's. Infrequent visitor these days, but still emotionally attached. :D

As for feather wings, I tried some using badger hackles, but they were nowhere near so good as hair. "Grease line" the hair version over steelhead in the fall, and hang onto your hat. Klamath half pounders just could not leave it alone in #6 and #8.

Edit- Failed to point out that the "steelhead" version we used didn't bother with the JC eye. Art Dedini from Ferndale originally turned me onto it. In days of yore it was his favorite pattern for half pounders on the upper Eel.

BTW- Lloyd Silvius HATED it, claiming all you needed was the Brindle Bug he originated. I'd always get a lecture from him if I mentioned using a Postmaster, and worse yet if I mentioned Art's name. A wee bit of rivalry there. I'll grant that Lloyd's version of the Brindle Bug was good or better down near bottom, but the Postmaster ruled up near the surface.
art?

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ted patlen wrote: art?
Sorry. It's Art Dedini, who I had mentioned earlier. He had a fly shop in his garage in Ferndale forever. One of the original salmon/steelhead figures from that region and era.