Ed

narcodog

Re: Woolly Buggers???

Post by narcodog »

I use white hackle, sometimes with a bead or cine head. :D

squire

Post by squire »

White hackle, which was an intuitive choice at first but worked so well I've never changed.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

It's worth tying some using pale grizzly, as well as a medium dun. I like the pure white early AM and PM, but especially when the sun is out, "moderating" the white a bit can pay bonuses.

Another feature worth considering is "racing stripes." By that I mean a single strip of Flashabout (I prefer pearl) extending under the hackle from the head all the way back to the end of the tail. Often that outfishes the plain versions, whether all white or with the grizzly or dun hackle.

David Roberts

Post by David Roberts »

I am appalled, I thought only low life Left Coasters would fish such an ugly fly :twisted: Eric can you believe this?
David

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

David Roberts wrote:I am appalled, I thought only low life Left Coasters would fish such an ugly fly :twisted: Eric can you believe this?
David, Eric doesn't check this category... :oops: :o :shock: :roll: dry flies only for Mr. P..... :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

I caught perhaps my biggest and certainly my most memorable smallmouth bass on a large, all-white Woolly Bugger while wading the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Every once in a while I try it again, but lightning has, to date, not struck twice.
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

David Roberts

Post by David Roberts »

OK enough of being a wise guy. I have used a white Bugger with gold bead and red thread head and caught real nice Sea Run Cutthroat here on the Rogue. I used white hackle.
David

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Isn't this what some call a "flesh fly"? Why not just skin out a rodent of some sort?
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ewpeper wrote:... "flesh fly"?
Might be if the fish were conditioned to flesh, but only if dead drifted. As most of us are talking about fishing it, we're stripping it like a streamer. It's always been a streamer to me and is listed in shops as such, even when they also sell flesh flies. All the most effective flesh flies I know are tied with rabbit, weighted, and fished dead drift.