White bugger…

Eperous

White bugger…

Post by Eperous »

Too windy to fish today, so I tended to other matters including tying a few White Woolly Buggers, which I recently asked SGM board members about.

Here’s mine:
White Woolly Bugger, #6 Mustad 9672.jpg
White Woolly Bugger, #6 Mustad 9672.jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Tail: white marabou with strands of Krystal Flash mixed colors
Body: white chenille plamered with white saddle hackle
Throat: hot orange/red thread
Head: gold cone head
Hook: #6 Mustad 9672

Mike V., thanks for the idea on using flash in the tail; Catskill classic for sure. ;) And, Eric P. thanks for the suggestion on red thread to represent fish gills and a cone head to get down deep. :D Thanks guys for your PM’s. :P Oh, maybe I wasn’t supposed to say anything bout that? :oops: :roll:

On a serious note, my interest in these was spurred on by Paul Weamer and his book on fishing the Upper Delaware River, specifically the West Branch during winter months. When it comes to streamers, Weamer recommended white due to the alewives that come from the reservoirs upriver. Maybe my size Bugger might be too small, but I more interested in “suggesting” food rather than trying to imitate it exactly.

We’ll see, hopefully in the months ahead.

Ed
Last edited by Eperous on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night_Browns

Re: White bugger…

Post by Night_Browns »

It's been a few years since I fished with a white woolly bugger. I used to tie yellow ones too. Yours looks great. I wouldn't be at all afraid to tie it on and fish it with confidence. ;-)
I'm an experienced practitioner of the mystical art of night fishing for large browns. I don't normally catch many small fish.

I fish where you fish, you're just not there when I am. ;-)

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Mike V., thanks for the idea on using flash in the tail; Catskill classic for sure. ;)
Ha!, oh right, Ed :) Actually, could you try tying the thing with some wood duck flank fibers hanging off the tail---please? :)
Follow me on Twitter

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Thanks guys for your PM’s. :P
:lol: :lol:

Ed, I think a better name for the fly would the White Chuck & Duck Bugger. :)

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Thanks guys for your PM’s. :P
:lol: :lol:

Ed, I think a better name for the fly would the White Chuck & Duck Bugger. :)
John, if you ever decide to tie/fish a large Clouser Minnow, especially trying to double haul it on windy days, THAT IS A CHUCK & DUCK streamer!!! :o :shock: Make sure you wear a hat and sunglasses while performing that act... :P :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Eperous wrote:...CHUCK & DUCK ....
That's why Santa's elves invented hooded raincoats! You can recognize dedicated salmon anglers by their perforated hoods. :D

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

At the risk of redundancy . . . flesh fly. :D
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

corvus

Post by corvus »

Kinda like Joe Brooks "blonds." I gave one to a young fellow in the Beartooths this summer and he caught more fish than the rest of us put together....

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ewpeper wrote:... flesh fly. :D
Think of them as "spinners" after a good salmon hatch! :D

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

funny but people up here have never thought of using a white wb....black or olive only.

having fished over these freshly stocked trout i've noticed that they go off the wooly buggers after a few days...maybe because they get used to the standard retrieve that very, very few people stray from. after a week or so people say they become "harder to catch" or they aren't there anymore. that's when i love fishing for them 6-7x midging, wet flies, dry...much slower and rewarding. only a few anglers i've seen vary the retrieve or use different lines.