Gray Ghost

narcodog

Gray Ghost

Post by narcodog »

Reading Hilyard's book on Carrie Stevens he states that Stevens used a yellow orange floss and not a red orange floss. So what color would that be today. Now I know she tyed with silk and I do have some Pearsall's Marabou floss but it doesn't seem to be the color she used. Second, how many of you that tye this streamer have used goat hair as she was reported to do.

It's in Wright's book that she mentions goat hair..
Last edited by narcodog on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Re: Gray Ghost

Post by Eperous »

Bob,

I used to tie/fish this classic streamer for landlocked salmon when we owned an Adirondack camp. Having said that, I relied upon Dick Steward & Bob Leeman's Trolling Flies for Trout and Salmon for pattern information. I also have a copy of Leslie Hilyard's Carrie G. Stevens, etc. that you refer to . Both books provide a dressing of "white bucktail" for the throat, so I'm not sure what your question of white goat refers to?

It's dark here now, and I'm involved the next two days, but if I get a chance I'll take a photo of the body, orange floss.

Ed

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

For what it's worth, in Streamers and Bucktails: The Big Fish Flies (1979), Joseph D. Bates Jr. quotes from a letter Carrie Stevens sent him about the origin of the Gray Ghost; she described the fly as having "an underbody of white bucktail."
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

she also used white goat hair quite extensively, especially on the smaller sizes...and the yellowish-orange silk was her choice...i have seen about 2 dozen original grey ghosts and the floss color is consistent

the color of the saddles , goat hair and bucktail, and size-shape-striations of the silver pheasant cheeks and the size and lengths of the jc all were varied.
Did she have a specific look ? yes but being a commercial tyer she used everything that she had...not all feathers have the exact shade or whatever.

it would be very difficult to find a more detailed, better researched book about Stevens than Hilyards.

look in a sewing/quilting store for this stuff VLI SILK THREAD #100 on the back of it it says 231 he color is very nice and not too far from the shade she used

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Thanks guys I knew I read it some where. I looked at silk Ted and it looks very similar to Pearsalls hot orange.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

ted patlen wrote:she also used white goat hair quite extensively, especially on the smaller sizes...
Ted nailed it. There's a letter to Joe Bates in the Hilyard book where she complains she can't get quality Copra that she wants--that deer tail is too bulky for some ties (especially the FRS Special)--and that the Copra works better.

I prefer natural Goat--the bleached white stuff has a blue cast--but for larger sizes of the pattern, you want fairly straight bucktail--avoid the crinkly stuff near the tips-the stuff near the base of the tail works best (it also works best for Thundercreeks as well)..

bb

streamcaddis

Post by streamcaddis »

[size=150]I tied mine on size 4 and 6 to use here in Michigan. They are tuff to tie for me but they catch trout. My mother-in-law lived up in Dennysville on the river back in the 60"s. The first fly I arraigned to tie was the Cosseboom . [/size]

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

If you have it, pb far outshines (pun intended) as belly material for a GG. More often, I use Hareline's UV Minnow Belly. Obviously, I'm no traditionalist. But either are more effective than deer hair in my experience. A couple of Kelt streamers with pb bellies:

Gary

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

PB would be nice for the belly. Fine white tail deer tail hair works but it's all about getting nice tails.

Follow me on Twitter

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Here are three ghosts tied with, top to bottom: Deer tail, Copra, and PB:

They're all good materials. I like the Copra for smaller ties, 8s and 10s; but I prefer PB for the larger sizes. Both the PB and Copra have more translucence than the deer hair. And the PB, especially when oldish and a little tinged with yellow just seems perfectly aged, like a nice old white Burgundy.

bb