Mike Valla

mikevalla

Re: Mike Valla

Post by mikevalla » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Also, Art Flick is continually credited with inventing the 'Red Quill.'
I have an old audio tape where he answers the questioner who asked about that with, "No, that was Jennings. The only dry fly I created is the Grey Fox Variant.
Mantis Bob,
That's because Flick wrote, in his own book, he was the first to use the stipped quill material for his Red Quill version. But as I pointed out, in my Catskill book, he wasn't the first to use it----that Brit dude, H.G. McClelland, used stripped quills in the 1800's...and he was no doubt not the first either. If you look in The Founding Flies book, Flick chapter, there's a copy of an original letter and the quills that Flick sent to Bergman, on request. Bergman, in his book, certainly helped raise the profile of the Flick Red Quill. It's an interesting letter which, by the way, Teddy and I came across in the Bergman Files when we both (along with our wives) traveled to Nyack to dig stuff out. Jill and Mark Schwarz graciously let us loose on the files. That letter was a real find.
Follow me on Twitter

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes, love old letters. When I was recovering from my chemo treatments more than a dozen years ago Judie Darbee sent me a couple inch high stack of letters her parents had received and the carbon copies of the return mail they wroye back. Some amazing information in them. George Grant ordered two hackle pliers at fifty cents each. Art Flick sent a letter asking permission to tie aand sell several of the Darbee patterns and promised them that he would only sell them to his clients. I wish I had sent Grace up to Mail N More to have copies made just for the info.

I recently sold an 8 page Sparse letter on ebay, but made a copy of it!!! It sold almost immediately at $200.

Only reason I am selling some of this stuff is because if one day I don't make it back from a fishing excursion the first thing Grace would throw out would be paper goods, old letters and catalogs.

Back before email people used to write real letters. I corresponded quite a bit with George Grant. He always typed numerous pages. Every letter was a short story. One time when we spoke on the phone I told him, George, you have so many stories you sshould write a book of them, or at least do a series of audio tapes. He said, you won't believe this, but I just did an audio tape of short tales and caled it "Tackle Counter Tales." Then he said he'd send me one.
They were all great stories, but George had a very monotone voice.
Bill Blackstone writes on one of those long yellow pads....still. If you never met Bill I can tell you he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
Chauncey Lively always wrote great letters. Yup, a lost art.

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 pm

PS: Mike. I know things are crazy for you right now with the new place. Just want to remind you I still have Eric Leiser's MS of his autobiography.

I've got Dick Talleur's ms of unpublished short stories too. "Chicken Souperman" is one of the funniest short stories I've ever read. I tried to talk him into having it published alone as a small book like John Taintor Foote used to do.

Also have a copy ms of Supernaturals that was a great idea, but needed some serious editing. They, Ron and Kevin gave it to Paul Schmookler along with the hundreds of flies tyers sent in and nothing ever happened...and they never got it or the flies back. back.

Still trying to get Jan to do something with Fran Betters autobiography. Offered to fill it out and edit it. These last two I wrote the foreword. That is 6 forewords LOL.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 am

OK, Bob
We'll have breakfast soon and I'll pick it up
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Eperous wrote: ... I just re-ordered my copy from B&N which has it listed again ...
My copy arrived today, nicely done--- a real keeper with lots of info and photos... :D KUDOS to Mike Valla and those involved with this book... ;)

Ed

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Eperous wrote:
Eperous wrote: ... I just re-ordered my copy from B&N which has it listed again ...
My copy arrived today, nicely done---
I knew I should have switched! I got a note from Amazon a week ago asking me to reconfirm my order. Did so, and a week later I'm still waiting for a shipping notice.

Just out of frustration with Amawho, I'll keep waiting and report back when it's finally shipped. Talked to our postmaster two days back, and she said Amawho parcels have dropped to less than 20% of what they were 6 months ago. Back then she was getting so many she was running out of places to stow them. Now she has vacant shelves and a whole lot of folks getting vocal about lengthy delays in shipping. Maybe the disintegration of their fulfillment department is just for Alaska....

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:56 am

Don't feel bad Brown Bear. I don't even have a copy yet myself. And won't have one for three weeks I'm told. :shock:
Follow me on Twitter

Ed Pirie

Post by Ed Pirie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi Brown Bear and Mike,

I just received a notice from Amazon that my copy has shipped today. Like most of you, it has been on order for a while and I can't wait for it to get here. I have enjoyed all of your books Mike, and this one with Gary tying will be a welcome addition to my library.

Thanks for all your hard work,

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont ( Brown Bear, maybe yours has shipped too - hope so)

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Thank you, Ed P.
Yes, Ed P....my thanks goes out to Gary for all his hard work in tying so many Atlantic salmon hairwing patterns. He also graciously let me photograph his step by step tying instructions--crafting one of his favorite patterns---all steps tied by Gary himself. Others, too, such as Teddy Patlen, came to my rescue with some salt water bucktails as well as some vintage bucktails that he tied. Dave McNeese--that dude loves his Steelhead hairwing flies--so, so many from him, too. Chris Del Plato jumped in with some of his stuff as well as examples of his nicely tied Thunder Creek flies and others. Peggy Brenner tied a few Bergman favorites as did Don Lieb, a California tier now in his mid-90's! I tied maybe 250? 300??---I lost count. And there were others. They are all listed in the acknowledgments---hope I didn't leave anyone out.
Follow me on Twitter

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 am

Amazon is pleased to inform me that the book ships today.

Looking forward to it! :D