Bucktails or streamers

Eperous

Bucktails or streamers

Post by Eperous »

With trout season waning and snow falling in places, I'm in the mode of shutting down one season--- fishing--- :( while ramping up another, tying and reading... :)

I haven't started tying yet :( , but been reading quite a bit... :) finished a few books and have a couple others going, including Mike Valla's Tying & Fishing Bucktails... so I'll throw out these questions, do most of us things there's a difference between a bucktail and a streamer? Maybe more importantly, how many of us fish bucktails anymore? I have a few favorites and curious what others think... :?:

Ed

redietz

Re: Bucktails or streamers

Post by redietz »

I still fish bucktails. The Ken Lockwood is my go-to fly for dark water:
ken_lockwood.jpg
ken_lockwood.jpg (210.79 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

I've caught more different species of fish on a Warden's Worry than any other fly, from bluegill to steelhead, smallmouth to cutthroats, crappie, pickerel, and a small flounder. (Also a bat, and two crayfish, but I guess they don't count.)
Bob

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

I still tie and use with success the venerable Mickey Finn and Black Nose Dace bucktail patterns, which I have always called "streamers".

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

tie2fish wrote:I still tie and use with success the venerable Mickey Finn and Black Nose Dace bucktail patterns, which I have always called "streamers".
Ah... I was trolling and got my first hit... :) better read Valla's book... :P

... and, our oldest son and I love da Mickey Finn... ;)

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

redietz wrote:I still fish bucktails. The Ken Lockwood is my go-to fly for dark water:

ken_lockwood.jpg

I've caught more different species of fish on a Warden's Worry than any other fly, from bluegill to steelhead, smallmouth to cutthroats, crappie, pickerel, and a small flounder. (Also a bat, and two crayfish, but I guess they don't count.)
Bob, really a nice tie... I may have to whip up a few myself this winter... and I also like a small, thin Warden's Worry late summer, early fall in skinny clear, cold tailwater streams, under deadfall... so do the trout...

Ed

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Eperous wrote:
tie2fish wrote:I still tie and use with success the venerable Mickey Finn and Black Nose Dace bucktail patterns, which I have always called "streamers".
Ah... I was trolling and got my first hit... :) better read Valla's book... :P

... and, our oldest son and I love da Mickey Finn... ;)

Ed
Just because I've always called them that doesn't mean I'm right; I've always thought you were a nice guy too. :lol:

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

yo,

today the words are interchangeable to many people. i had a great , loud almost heated discussion a few years back trying to say just what i did there. it seems that my good friend (and still good friend) HATES it when someone calls a hair-winged pattern a streamer...

a streamer was considered a long skinny flag back in the 1800's, a there where a few fishermen who attached feathers off the back of some hooks in "streamer style" for sea bass in england circa 1850.

the dettes, darbees, and bergman to name a few called hackles "streamers" when they added them onto their flies. Bergman called them combinations of hair and feathers".

col. keinbusch, one of the members of the anglers club who fished with bergman, also referred to these concoctions as combinations...

when larry koller wrote his book he kinda called either streamers...

so it looks to me that the terminology is convoluted but this is a past-time so whatever ... yeah streamers is the first word from my mouth as well...

hey ed, maybe we call them streamers because we started this nonsense back in the 1950's when oatman was king !

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

tie2fish wrote:... Just because I've always called them that doesn't mean I'm right; I've always thought you were a nice guy too. :lol:
Well now you're wrong on two accounts... :o :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Ted, interesting comment... collectively I might refer to the group as streamers... since I really only categorize trout flies into: dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers... :o emergers get tucked in there somewhere... and I don't distinguish between soft-hackles and traditional wets... :? wets are wets in my book, but that's just me...

However, when I think about the "category" of streamers, I do differentiate between streamers and bucktails... bucktails in my mind are easy: long flies tied with hair--- or bucktail--- to imitate a baitfish... streamers tend to be everything else for me, including Leeches and Conehead Woolly Buggers... :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Ed

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Tied these for Mike's book. The Golden Eagle (center, left in photo) is a go-to for kelts on the Miramichi.

Gary