The most useless fly tying material/item ever

Anything fly tying...
eaustin

Re: The most useless fly tying material/item ever

Post by eaustin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

The Magic Tool. Can you say hoax? I'm with you too John on the Gallows tool, never understood that one at all. I could do without most tools actually. I like a vise that holds the hook, scissors that cut stuff and can be sharpened, a simple bobbin or five is nice, and maybe a good pair of hackle pliers or two. Anything else is pretty superfluous, though if you've ever seen my tying station I seem to have everything in the world hanging off it. Oh yeah, tweezers, good tweezers, are a tremendous tool. Cautery tools have always seemed to me to be a good way to set fire to your fly. I have no use for most glue, especially CYA (cover your *ss glue). I bought cuticle cutters once with the idea of neatly trimming everything around the head of a full dress salmon fly and promptly cut the eye off a finished fly. What about a bobbin threader? There's a convenience I don't seem to need at all. I actually have a loop of mono sent to me that works just fine for that, but I can never find it because it's, well, a loop of mono. What about vises that spin around and around? How about whip finish tools? OK, I know some really good tiers who swear by them, so I'll let that one go. How about those dubbing twisters for doing dubbing loops? Maybe if I tied more streamers or something I could find a use for that thing. Then there are material clips (that don't) and hackle gauges. How about hackle guards? How about a nice wooden kit to keep all your useless tools in? Wow. It really gets to be horrific.

Rene Harrop and family tie on a Thomson "A" vise and use bamboo sticks to apply glue to the finished fly. And yet, they turn out some pretty fair flies. It's about the carpenter, not the tools.
Eric

Bud

Post by Bud » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm

I actually have seen a parachute tool used to good effect, although it's the only use for which it seems worth having one. The style of fly that the late West Coast tyer Ned Long called a "Hacklestacker" and that seems now to be known as a "Paraloop" is a lot easier to tie with a parachute tool.

These are flies on which a whole lot of wraps of hackle--as many as thirty--are wrapped around a piece of stretchy Spandex-like floss or mono that's anchored to the top of the hook shank, then the stretch material or mono is pulled down and secured, along with the hackle, behind the hook eye. I saw Long tie one years ago and Dave Klausmeyer tie one at a recent Somerset show. Having something to hold up the material around which all those wraps are made is pretty much a necessity for tying this style of fly.

Ned Long, who had dry sense of humor, said that flies tied this way make great strike indicators. :lol:

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

Normand E Frechette

Post by Normand E Frechette » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 am

good luck figuring this thing out :)

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 am

Normand E Frechette wrote:good luck figuring this thing out :)

If there were a prize for the best answer, I think you'd have a front-running contender Normand... 8-) welcome to SGM!

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:25 pm

its "the automatic dubbing loop, flat tinsel-oval tinsel, bobbin thing"

it's only $2.00 but the spools of materials cost $19.50 each.

i have never seen this before but it makes me smile.

yo

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Wow, that's a real piece of work there. A real double whammy. By the way, I have many of the tools listed in my diatribe. No gallows or Magic Tool but I succumbed to almost everything else at one time or another. Everyone likes to buy tools and I'm no exception. I personally can't buy enough bobbins, and have at least one of almost everything. I would buy more scissors too if there were more good ones made, which doesn't appear to be the case. Chris Helm supposedly has some made in Switzerland or somewhere over there, and if I ever get up to his shop they'll be tops on my list.
Eric

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Is it a double barrelled bead shooter?

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 pm

SgtMajUSMC wrote:Is it a double barrelled bead shooter?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sawed off too! A scatterbobbin :lol: CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:35 pm

That's the damnedest thing I ever saw. I mean, how in the heck does it work? :lol:

OH!! ........... I get it!! ........... So one can tie TWO flies at the same time. Silly me....
Last edited by drlogik on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 pm

I could almost see putting two Pearsall's bobbins into that, perhaps joined with a piece of dowel, to tie bodies of two colors of silk, like the Dark Watchet, but it would be real overkill.
Bob