Spirit of Pittsford Mills

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.

Re: Spirit of Pittsford Mills

Post by David S. »

Fatman wrote:DavidS

I did alot of research on this fly in 2006 based on a post on the Fly Fisherman site. While researching it I actually came up with 3 different patterns for it. I checked a few fly shops in Vermont and found that Green Mountain Troutfitters in
Jeffersonville, Vermont carried the pattern. I sent them an email and they gave me his son Chuck's email. He told me that his Dad and Eric Leiser were very good friends and told me that the pattern in Eric's Fly Tying Material book was the pattern for it.

He gave me his phone number and we talked for about an hour. I asked two questions about the pattern - What color thread should be used as Eric's book didn't list it, he told me gray or pale yellow silk or pale yellow thread to keep with the ginger hackle. The other was the pattern says "Tail: A cream ginger hackle tip tied to proper proportion", he thought it was a mis-print as his Dad always used hackle barbs for the tail.

“Spirit of Pittsfords Mills”
Pattern from Eric Leisers Fly Tying Materials book:

Wings: Grizzly hackle tips tied in V position
Tail: A cream ginger hackle tip tied to proper proportion
Body: down from base of wood duck flank feather
Rib: cream ginger hackle, wound Palmer style and clipped short to blend in with body. Stubby effect.
Hackle: cream ginger

It's a great pattern that I keep in my fly box.
Thank you Fatman, that's some very interesting information, I would love to see a picture of an original if you have one. From what you write It would seem the fly I tied isn't that far off, perhaps I should have used a lighter shade of ginger. On the plus side It seems that by sheer luck I got the thread color right, I used off-white/gray to match the duck down :)
/David S.

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

David

The only picture I have of one is black and white, which is out of the Leiser book. I have it in a .pdf file and I can't attach it from here at work I'll have to do it from home.

David S.

Post by David S. »

Fatman wrote:David

The only picture I have of one is black and white, which is out of the Leiser book. I have it in a .pdf file and I can't attach it from here at work I'll have to do it from home.
Please do, I would be most interested. /David S.

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

David - Here you go

David S.

Post by David S. »

Thank you Fatman, very interesting to see a picture of an original fly. I can't quite make out if the tail is a hackle point or hackle barbs, I guess it's possible that Stephen Belcher II may have tied them both ways?
/David S.

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

I think I first learned of this fly in an issue of the The Orvis News, sometime in the 1980's. It's always been a favorite of mine. For one thing, it gave me a use for Woodduck fluff. I tie it with the clipped hackle. I don't remember what the tail is off the top of my head. Will have to check my notes.