My hat stinks

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

My hat stinks

Post by Eperous »

There’s no two ways about this, my fishing hat stinks! :oops:

Sweat, bug spray, the elements, overuse all have taken their toll on my favorite lightweight, kaki long-bill fishing hat. I love that damn hat. It keeps the sun out of my eyes, bugs away from me, water off my head yet cools that same noggin when I dip it into the river while in use, and my flip-focals near me so I can change my flies when the trout have no idea of what they should be taking. :o

Truth be known, I think we flyfishers love our personal angling gear. There’s a fine story --- "Reverie with an Old Fishing Vest"--- by Angus Cameron in Fishing Moments of Truth edited by our own Eric Peper and Jim Rikhoff about this very neurosis. My poor wife has probably already used up a spool of thread keeping my own fishing pack somewhat functional and in one piece.

But what should I do about my fishing hat, it stinks! :cry:

Ed

squish67

Re: My hat stinks

Post by squish67 »

Fifteen years ago, before I married the most beautiful woman in the world, a woman I was dating got a hold of the fishing vest I had been (and am still) wearing since 1975. Emptied the pockets and was preparing to wash it as a favor to me. Needless to say the relationship ended quickly, and the vest has still not been washed (the most beautiful woman in the world understands). So I say , "What do you do?"............not a thing! It is perfect the way it is and any attempt to change it will remove all the good karma it carries with it! :D

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

When you figure out that you've caught a bad case of "favorite hat," the first thing to do is to go out and buy two more of them. Do it now. The continued availability of worthwhile headgear is in inverse proportion to its usefulness.

Karma involves the great cycles of life, and sometimes the greatest cycle of all is the spin cycle. Yes, you should never rub the patina off an old Hardy reel, but that's not patina on your old fishing hat. That's DIRT. Machine wash cold and air dry to start, then get more serious if conditions warrant.
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

bobpetti

Post by bobpetti »

I have no qualms about washing my hats. Being a little sparse on the top (a *little* sparse? bwahahahaha), hats are as important as tippet material. I have a lot of them, but there are a few favorites that are reserved for fishing. When they get rank, I toss them in the washer with other clothes and hang them to dry. I don't wash a vest or cork grip on the rod, but hats? Yes - washed regularly. Since I also wear hats when I go for walks and they normally get pretty - ummm - unpleasant - regular washing is necessary.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

bobpetti wrote:I have no qualms about washing my hats. Being a little sparse on the top (a *little* sparse? bwahahahaha), hats are as important as tippet material. I have a lot of them, but there are a few favorites that are reserved for fishing. When they get rank, I toss them in the washer with other clothes and hang them to dry. I don't wash a vest or cork grip on the rod, but hats? Yes - washed regularly. Since I also wear hats when I go for walks and they normally get pretty - ummm - unpleasant - regular washing is necessary.
Agree . . . emphatically!! :D

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Several years ago I bought a hat in GTNP and wore that hat for years. I thought at that time I bought the hat I would not ever get back. Well so happens I was able to go the next year and bought a spare hat, lucky me. The original hat has been washed a couple of times and now hangs in my camper though I don't wear it any longer.

As far as a vest, I don't use one any longer but I did have a favorite that got smaller as the years went on. About ten years ago I gave it to my skinny nephew with instructions not to wash it. I told him it had some good mojo on it.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

i suppose you wash your vests as well? isn't getting caught in a downpour washing?

add cigar smoke to the list of smels

yo :P

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Ed, if it were me I would dump the stinky hat.

That said.. my ol' dark green fly vest has awesome karma!! I have worn it for more years than I can count anymore (Eric has seen it many times). It has lots of pockets to weight me down and has always been my goto fly vest. It has stains from the days of gasoline and paraffin wax leaking in my pocket to water marks, bug marks and many other things I do not pretend to know. But I have seen many good times with it and I love it dearly. :D

squish67

Post by squish67 »

If you must wash your hat, here is a tip from a golfer I know. Wash it in your dishwasher. Just set it up on the rack , using the plate holders to help retain the shape, shut the door and let it go! I would turn off the auto dry, other than that nothing special. It will help you preserve the hats shape (if it still has one). Of course this is a golfer kind of thing! :shock:

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Gents, some great suggestions here... now truth be told, shortly after posting this thread... I did wash the hat and once it dried, gave it a squirt or two of Febreze... :)

Squish... we raised four kids active in sports, so we always seem to have dirty baseball caps around... as you suggested, years ago I purchased two plastic hat frames/holders to wash these in the ole dishwasher... and doing so, I didn't lose any Karma... wearing a clean hat Thursday, I caught/returned a nice batch of little wild brookies while wandering these mountains...
Ausable Wulff brook trout.jpg
Ausable Wulff brook trout.jpg (134.09 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Today on the stained, cool Esopus--- while swinging wets I managed a few hatchery/wild browns this morning, mostly on an old fashion Brown Hackle no less...
Brown Hackle hatchery brown.jpg
Brown Hackle hatchery brown.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
And Quashnet, I agree with your approach/recommendation... maybe purchase two at one time... I looked for a new hat earlier this week--- zip... a new replacement model in the stores now that will never, ever sit over the few remaining hairs on my head...

And another buddy suggested the use of vinegar to "kill the smell"... a treatment that I have heard of and used before, but forgot... :oops:

Thanks folks...

Ed