On the Dumbing Down of Fly Fishing....

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Re: On the Dumbing Down of Fly Fishing....

Post by mikevalla »

there is a legion of fly rodders who just don't understand the game. they are not content with casting, fishing but catching. i don't consider them fly fisherman but guys fishing using a fly rod. they need to catch a fish, many fish quickly
McGuide + McBead=McTrout

I've always enjoyed a warm association with my Flure Flopping friends----mostly by friction.
Follow me on Twitter

bobpetti

Post by bobpetti »

I remember when the demarcation line was "The Movie" (ARRTI)- If you were pre movie - you were grandfathered in - but if you were post you were automatically under suspicion as just another catalog dressed newbie who wanted to be Brad Pitt and look cool. It seems that there is always one group looking down on another. For what purpose? Are we back to Halford vs Skues again? Should we all cast like Reverend Maclean or is it ok to double haul? Are bait fishers still evil? Stocked vs wild? Graphite vs Bamboo? I can't keep track. Too many arbitrary rules.

At what point did it become bad form to want to catch a fish? And who's business is it how and where I do it?

I once had an argument that an angler shouldn't be allowed to release a fish until they've learned to kill and eat one. They should understand that fishing isn't golf - that it's a blood sport even if the kill is delayed and out of sight. Counting fish isn't like keeping score - there is an impact. A percentage of fish hooked won't be there next time. I wonder how many new anglers would keep fishing if they *had* to kill fish? Or if photos were prohibited? C&R is a good thing - but it gives people a false guilt-free impression of what they are doing - making it more palatable for the casual practitioner. Killing, cleaning, and cooking a fish - especially a wild fish - are those activities still considered part of the mandatory learning curve? By the time a trout is carried to shore and posed for a couple hero shots - it's probably mostly dead already. Do newbies understand this? Probably not. Who should teach them? Would it make a difference?

Interesting thread - of course. I'm always willing to share what (little) I know and believe - but I won't pass judgement on others and expect the same in return. For 99.9% of us, fishing is a recreation and as long as we abide by laws and normal conservation ethics, leave people alone to find their own path. The history and lore are readily available (more than ever) for anyone who develops a deeper curiosity - but there is room on the stream for those who simply want to catch a fish and go home.

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.

Bob

turk

Post by turk »

I fish because the fish and the surrounding make me smile.
I fish with flies and release what I catch and handle them very carefully.
I hope a large percentage survive. Whether for a kid with worms or another angler with a flyrod.
(don't care if it's bamboo or plastic)
I agree too many people look down on others because of equipment,how they are dressed or(insert any reason).
As long as they are lawbiding and curtious I say let them smile also.
Regards
Turk

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

I guess at this point in the discussion I'm not sure who's a flyfisherman.

If I fish upstream dries to rising trout with cane and silk lines like the Lotus Eaters I'm a flyfisher.... I think.

If I use a plastic rod and weighted nymphs (like Skues tied over a century ago) then I'm a heathen.

What if I use my 6 wt. flyrod to troll traditional Carrie Stevens featherwing streamers on a sinking line from my rowboat for big Catskill reservoir trout... what does that qualify as?

If we want to disqualify folks who have used weighted flies, I fear many hallowed names in the angling fraternity must be excommunicated... Skues, Frank Sawyer, Hewitt, more recently Leiser and a raft of others.

Flure fishermen, one and all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy angling,

Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Just a casual observation, but I think Mike's original gripe had less to do with where in the water column the fly was placed or how it was rigged than it did with people being told they were "fly fishing" (by others who should know better) who had not the vaguest clue about how to cast a fly.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

bobpetti

Post by bobpetti »

Eric - yeah you're right I guess. I get a little knee-jerk about this sometimes. I don't believe the entry into the sport should be an issue. Those who catch the bug from one of these "just toss it over the side" guide trips will pursue other aspects of fly fishing - including the history and traditions - at their own pace. Those who don't will just go home with a good story and hopefully provide the guide with a good tip - no harm done.

The field sports are dying. If easy entry gets a few more people to vote for conservation laws and sportsman's rights, it's good. The history of the sport isn't in danger. It is in good hands. Books like those just released by Mike ensure that. We're living the Golden Age.

turk

Post by turk »

I just want to say this has been a good thread.
Thank you Mike as it has been thought provoking as well as entertaining.
I just hope all those who enter this hobby enjoy it and revere it as the members of this board seem to.
Regards
Turk

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Brothers of the Angle,

After several sleepless nights, I have been visited by an epiphany -- and this thread has been nothing short of a call to arms for me.

So today I shall don my battered Filson tweed cap, my period-correct Red Ball canvas chest waders, and then lace up the old leather hob-nailed brogans.

I shall string up my pre-fire Leonard 50DF -- with vintage silk line on a WWI-era Hardy Perfect, of course.

And then I shall wade with utmost conviction into the baptismal waters of the West Branch of the Delaware, kindle my Meershaum pipe, and attempt to bodily block every driftboat party that has the gall to float by.

If unable to halt their progress, I shall verbally accost them with a barrage of the most sanctimonious epithets I can muster ... although the pipe clenched firmly in my teeth may somewhat muffle my venomous oration.

I shall beseech them to mend their ways -- and their fly lines!

I shall condemn their backward, boorish, leaden nymphal fishing methods and shame them into climbing out of their larval shucks -- and their driftboats -- to angle in the one true manner -- upstream and dry!

I shall menace them with my ancient copy of 'Notes and Letters.'

Gentlemen, let this be our flyfishing 'Harper's Ferry.'

Our clarion call to action!

From this day forward, we shall rid the sport of its heretics and deliver it back to its puritanical roots!

Once more into the breech!

We few,
We happy few,
We Bamboo Brothers!
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Very well said!! :D :D

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

B&B, that was brilliant! :lol:
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx