Catskill Research rods

Graphite or Fiberglass
squish67

Re: Catskill Research rods

Post by squish67 »

So, I've been watching this post for awhile, and finally asked my fishing buddy, Adriano, if I could let you guys know he is the repository for Catskill Research Rods and Reels, and can fill in the history. If you are interested in them, or want more information, he said you can contact him at Adriano@adriano-art.com. If you know his work, you might want to ask about his art too! In fact you can go to Adriano-art.com to see some of his originals.:D Hope this isn't an ad, as I am still a Scott Rod guy! ;)

Rich

squish67

Post by squish67 »

So here an interesting follow up. Kim contacted Adriano for some information, and he was supposed to get back to her, but can't find her e-mail address. So Kim, if you read this post, please contact him again. :D

Rich

Homer34

Post by Homer34 »

For the record, I'm a him and not a her.......long story how I got that name. I did re-send a notice to see if I could find out more information and this is what I got back. Some good information here but this is still a bit of a head scratcher for me. I have two Catskill Research rods that belonged to my Dad.
Kim Chandler

Hi Kim,
I’m so sorry I was not able to answer your first e-mail. When I received it I was in the process of heading out for two days. When I got back and sat down to answer the e-mail, it was gone. That drove me nuts. I couldn’t figure out what happened. I then asked Rich, my fishing buddy, who originally mentioned the rods on the forum to try and reconnect with you. He said he had posted a request for you to try and re-contact me. Not getting any news from you I called Cortland. I spoke to their head pr guy and explained I had lost your e-mail. He said he was in contact with you and your family and would pass along the message. Obviously that never happened. So I’m glad you decided to send me another note.

As far as the rods and reels. I don’t really think I’m much of an expert on them. I’ll try and be brief on how I came across them. Some 28 years ago I was exhibiting my artwork at a hunting and fishing expo in Suffern, NY. One day at the expo a Japanese fellow named Jiro Tomizawa approached me about wanting to use some of my angling paintings in a Japanese monthly magazine called FlyFisher. Jiro spoke little english and I no Japanese but we managed to communicate. I came to learn that Jiro was a very successful economist in Japan. He was also quite passionate about angling. Over the years I traveled with Jiro on a number of angling trips where he would write articles for the magazine and I would photograph the trips and also do a painting for his article. We became friends and a few years in he gave me a rod and reel. I thought they were really incredible and ahead of their time. I never learned much more about them at that time. I did know Cortland was selling them at one point since I would exhibit at the Smomerst Angling show and would visit the Cortland booth. By the way, I knew your dad and always thought he was the consulate gentleman and dean of the angling industry.

Some 15 years ago Jiro called to ask if I would do him a favor. Would I take some of his rods and reels since he was no longer going to be coming to the US as frequently as he was. He was literally coming once a month to do business back then. So one day he showed up with probably 75 rods and 75 reels and gave them to me. He was renting an apartment on Long Isnaldn (NY and would no longer have space for them and didn't want to bring them back to Japan. He told me at the time he had designed and manufactured them in Japan. He said he always felt the product was maybe too sophisticated for the market and the price point was probably too high for the Cortland line. He was getting out of the angling business, would be traveling only maybe once a year to the States and was going to spend some time writing instead. In fact he wrote a book on the history of Catskill fly-fishing a year later. I told Jiro I really didn’t know what to do with all those rods and reels. One of the problems was there was no manufacturer warrantee so shops wouldn’t take them and people hesitated since by then most manufacturers were offering life time warrantees. So some I donated to TU and FFF auctions and the rest I sold to friends. The money I made from them I would send to his daughter who was living in Long Island (NY). I still have a few which I use and think they are awesome. I unfortunately lent out the spec sheets for the rods and reels to a friend who was going to post some on e-bay and ended loosing the spec sheets on me.

If you want to delve further, I’m attaching Jiro’s e-mail in Japan as well as his address. I haven’t spoken to him in about a year and I owe him an e-mail which I will do and will mention your contact. Hopefully the e-mail address is still valid. His english has improved a little the last 30 years but if you do e-mail him keep sentences short and simple. He’s a great guy and I’m sure will be happy to answer any questions you have about the products he developed. tomcat@earthlink.net. His address is C-203, 1-56-3 Keyaki-Dai Mito-Shi 310-0842 Ibaraki-Ken, Japan.

Sorry if I haven’t been able to help enough but hopefully Jiro can shed more light on the rods and reels. Please let me know if this e-mail gets to you. I will feel better knowing it.

Best wishes,

Adriano

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Glad you got together on this, I know Adriano feels better about it. Sorry about the gender mix up, won't happen again! ;)

Rich

Homer34

Post by Homer34 »

These are three images of the one rod I have. Surprising to see the hand writing application information and I'm not sure what that's all about. The tube it came in is identical to the one pictured above.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

I got one of those from adriano a 9' 7-8 wt....very nice rod