Black Magic

Wets, the subtle art form where masters are few and far between.
Brk Trt

Black Magic

Post by Brk Trt »

DSCN7312.JPG
DSCN7312.JPG (427.65 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
DSCN7309.JPG
DSCN7309.JPG (399.41 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

Alan

joaniebo

Re: Black Magic

Post by joaniebo »

Probably 10+ years ago, a fellow in the UK sent me a pic and info for the "Black Magic" spider he uses in the UK. It looks quite a bit like yours (that's pictured) except under the peacock herl thorax are several wraps of wire to make the fly sink faster. I used this fly a lot and on some days, it is indeed like "magic" when the fish are taking "little black stuff."

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

That makes sense to use the wire.
Between the 2 flies I have had much better success with the one without peacock. And that's odd for most of my fishing is on streams where there are only wild brookies, usually not selective.

Alan

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

That second shot looks really good to me, Alan. I've had a theory for some time that when it comes to wet flies, "wonky" (for lack of a better word) hackle is better than the umbrella we usually see. It is movement, I think, that makes wets so deadly and I suspect that most drowning or emerging flies do not move their legs in perfect unison.

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

tie2fish wrote:That second shot looks really good to me, Alan. I've had a theory for some time that when it comes to wet flies, "wonky" (for lack of a better word) hackle is better than the umbrella we usually see. It is movement, I think, that makes wets so deadly and I suspect that most drowning or emerging flies do not move their legs in perfect unison.
I like the term "wonky"....Flies as any thing else that is fighting for their life will display a lot of flailing.
So it makes sense.

Alan

HookI

Post by HookI »

Alan

Steve Culton has a little different approach w/ his Hackle is Starling I think ?
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

HookI wrote:Alan

Steve Culton has a little different approach w/ his Hackle is Starling I think ?
How so?

Alan

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

Nice ties Alan. I have to say I was surprised to read that the peacock was not well received by the brookies.

Ya know I suppose most of us try to get that hackle wrapped just so so. As I have said many times, a few fish on that fly and it will never look the same again. The good news is that they will keep right on catching fish.

Regards, Jerry

HookI

Post by HookI »

Brk Trt wrote:
HookI wrote:Alan

How so?

Alan
I see yours has peacock, very different on a spider spider ?
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

Jerry G wrote:Nice ties Alan. I have to say I was surprised to read that the peacock was not well received by the brookies.

Ya know I suppose most of us try to get that hackle wrapped just so so. As I have said many times, a few fish on that fly and it will never look the same again. The good news is that they will keep right on catching fish.

Regards, Jerry
Jerry I know it sounds crazy, but they favored the other.
And your so correct when you say the more it's chewed on it continues to produce.

Alan