Anyone fishing fiberglass?

Graphite or Fiberglass
Brookie

Re: Anyone fishing fiberglass?

Post by Brookie »

Last weekend I was fishing on a small Catskill feeder stream to the Esopus. I caught and released 6 small Brookies using my Orvis Superfine glass 7' 3wt. I love these series rods. I also own the 8' 5wt in which I landed a 21" Brown on the Esopus Memorial Day.
Attachments
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG (209.64 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Nice!
I like the way fiberglass bends. Much easier yet still very strong as the material has a 'long' reserve

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

Fished Glass Today
This guy put a nice bend in my 5 weight Hollowell.

Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut
Last edited by twistedtippet on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

:shock: What a beast! He would put a bend in a fence post. Congrats!

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

This summer I fished my Livingston 863 at:

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

Yesterday I fished my Steffen 8'6" 5-6 wt. rod built by Insitu Rodsmiths. A black Bunny Leech was the fly of the day. With today's rain I think it was a good decision.

The 3 Best of the day

All fish returned unharmed.

tt

Bob4st

Post by Bob4st »

Absolutely! I've been using fiberglass for years.. In fact, a couple of my favorite rods I received from fellow member Corlay (Hello Corlay, long time no see. Happy Holidays!).. When I'm not using glass, I turn to bamboo.. It's a rare day that I use grrrrraphite..

HookI

Post by HookI »

Brookie wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 am
Last weekend I was fishing on a small Catskill feeder stream to the Esopus. I caught and released 6 small Brookies using my Orvis Superfine glass 7' 3wt. I love these series rods. I also own the 8' 5wt in which I landed a 21" Brown on the Esopus Memorial Day.

Brookie , its been on my mind about the Orvis Superfine in the 3 w , what do you have it paired up with including the line ? thanks for sharing
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Speycaster

Post by Speycaster »

Sure do. Good fiberglass rods don't have quite the romanticism of bamboo, but they do have that same smooth, sweet feel and can make almost all the casts required in normal fishing. I learned with Fenwicks, graduated to Winstons and Claudios, and more recently have begun buying glass rods again. The rods of Larry Kenney (longtime president and rod designer at Scott) and Dusty Smith (Livingston Rods) are terrific casters, beautifully appointed and finished, and are among my favorites. The recent glass fibers and resins have made modern glass rods even better and have allowed longer light line rods to be totally practical and lightweight. The Livingston 8'6" 3 wt. is a tremendous, smooth, positive caster that's a prime example of what modern glass and makers can do, and the 8'1" 3 wt. Kenney is as sweet a light line rod in any material as one could want.

Anything heavier than 5 or 6 wt and graphite's advantages are overwhelming, in my opinion. I still have my old 3M Great Equalizer, 13 wt., a beast of a rod that was, at the time, the rod to have among tarpon fanatics. A decent caster, but its main attribute was that it was virtually unbreakable, took a huge load and just kept on bending. Was favored by many of the tarpon nuts even some years after graphite came along.